White pine blanks source

EricS

Eric
Senior User
Hello all! It’s been a while since I’ve been on the site. I am working on a few Windsor chairs and I am looking for a source for about 4 or five blanks or rough sawn boards to fit the bill. I’ve used poplar in the past but wanted to try white pine this time. I’m in the Hickory area and don’t mind driving a few hours in any direction. Just need to be pointed in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric

EricS

Eric
Senior User
Hello all! It’s been a while since I’ve been on the site. I am working on a few Windsor chairs and I am looking for a source for about 4 or five blanks or rough sawn boards to fit the bill. I’ve used poplar in the past but wanted to try white pine this time. I’m in the Hickory area and don’t mind driving a few hours in any direction. Just need to be pointed in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric
I guess I did not mention that these are blanks for the seats.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
If you want to build the seats with one piece of white pine-- I have it in the shop.

1-015.JPG

Seat for this model chair is 17front to back and 22 side to side.
I am in Durham, retired and building a boat now. Please call and leave a message if you are interested in wood. Do not send a text I won't answer.

Dan
919 308-0790

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks,
Eric
How thick do the blanks need to be?

EricS

Eric
Senior User
How thick do the blanks need to be?
Hey MCB, around 2”- 2 1/8” thick around 22-23”wide. I just picked up 2 pieces this weekend but would like some more to have for the future especially if it’s green. Let me know what you have and how much $.
Thanks,
Eric

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
Hey MCB, around 2”- 2 1/8” thick around 22-23”wide. I just picked up 2 pieces this weekend but would like some more to have for the future especially if it’s green. Let me know what you have and how much $.
Thanks,
Eric
Not sure if I have any that size. My "pile" is kind of buried right now. Anything I have has been drying for three years by now. I may be cutting some pines down this fall and plan to set some aside for chair blanks.

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks,
Eric
I will keep you in mind. Would you be interested in poplar seat blanks?

EricS

Eric
Senior User
Eric I wondered if you could post some photos of the oak you cut?
Dan, this is all quarter sawn from 9” to 4” wide and various thicknesses for projects I have it intended for. I did not want to break into the stack but you can see a few of the rays and fleck on the end of the boards. About 80% QS the rest rift. This QSWO has a crazy amount of rays and fleck. The logs were 28-32” in diameter x 10’ long. I would never cut a tree down that was this beautiful. Lucky for me it was a blow down from this winter.

dgrano

New User
Dan
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, as I am in the market for the same!

Elia Bizzarri lists Hancock Forest Products as a source for pine seat blanks on his site. He notes that he's never ordered from them (they're also in CT so there'd be shipping involved).

Closer to home maybe, Steve Wall Lumber lists white pine in sizes between 4/4-16/4. I've been meaning to call them to see what widths they have in stock.

EricS

Eric
Senior User
I may be getting a large white pine log in the near future and will be cutting into blanks. Will be a couple of years to dry. I will be glad to sell a few green pieces on the cheap if all goes well.

JAM

New User
Tony
If you want to build the seats with one piece of white pine-- I have it in the shop.

View attachment 201492

Seat for this model chair is 17front to back and 22 side to side.
I am in Durham, retired and building a boat now. Please call and leave a message if you are interested in wood. Do not send a text I won't answer.

Dan
919 308-0790
Hi Dan
I’m in Apex. I just finished a boat and I am interested in building Windsor chairs. Do you still have seat blanks for sell?

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Sorry Tony a guy came and bought all of the white pine my nephew brought down from NY. I just built a few chairs last week. I got a new/used lathe recently and I'm itchin' to make more.

Dan

Attachments

• legs bamboo painted.JPG
    legs bamboo painted.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 64
  • bamboo and RI bowbacks.jpg
    bamboo and RI bowbacks.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 56

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS