white picket fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

unimog

New User
CHO
This spring on my honeydolist is the redo of the picket fence in the front yard.
Spouse requires to make it just as is.
There are 500 pickets in gothic style 5/8 x 3 inches painted white. All posts are still in good shape.

Looking at stores options all are 3 1/2 inches wide with none 3 inches wide; so to keep the same density of pickets I may have to make every single one.

My goal would be to for a pickets lifetime of 30 years if possible, acknowledging the maintenance for painting.
Any suggestion on wood material of choice or tips are welcomed.

Thank you!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
If you make your own pickets I would suggest cedar; it paints well and has superior longevity.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bet you don't know why pickets are pointed. It's to keep chickens in the yard. Chickens need to perch upon top of fence before making a choice of a landing spot on the other side. Heard that on TOH, or another PBS program. If they are just pointed (in an arch shape), then you will need a picket pointer. Yes there is such a tool, but they haven't been made for many years.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Just curious. What are the store bought pickets made from? Pressure treated wood, PVC, regular pine?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Wow that's a lot of pickets to hand fashion to match your current fence (3" w x 5/8" t x X' l?). Most of what I've found online is western red cedar, 3.5" w, and they come in bundles, not pallets, and they're about + $2/ea. Lowe's and HD is even pricier/picket.

Is the fence top and posts "Gothic" or "French Gothic" profile?

http://www.academyfence.com/AcademyPDF/Academy_Fence_Guide_to_Custom_Wood_Fence.pdf

These pickets are $2.29 each.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Outdoor...BEgIvuPD_BwE&dclid=CMPm3YOfmdoCFQYYgQodnZAIVQ

unimog

New User
CHO
Thank you for all replies.

What I found at local hardware stores is pressure treated and cedar picket.

Jeff, the current shape is french gothic profile with a concave style (#6 from the academy fence). Lots of cutting especially where there is some slope.

Woody, I will give a call to wholesaler in Charlotte to see if they can offer the width in need.

For pressure treated, I am fearing that painting will need to happen few months after setting the fence up to allow the moister to evaporate. My preference is to paint before the assembly to make it easier. I already painted the fence a couple of time, one by brush and the second one by spraying and it takes some time to complete.

Also if a french gothic picket is ripped, the top shape will need to be redone anyway. Might as well start form a straight board is there is saving there.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
For pressure treated, I am fearing that painting will need to happen few months after setting the fence up to allow the moister to evaporate. My preference is to paint before the assembly to make it easier. I already painted the fence a couple of time, one by brush and the second one by spraying and it takes some time to complete.

This is why I've switched to using composite material and PVC for outside uses, no need to paint/stain every few years, and while upfront cost is higher, the savings on long term maintenance costs more than makeup for it. I'd look into this for your fence, just have to pressure wash once a year and will look great.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
So like this Staples and all?

https://images.homedepot-static.com...svn/wood-fence-panels-fsfg4245814-64_1000.jpg wood-fence-panels-fsfg4245814-64_1000.jpg

So how do you actually get a picture to dispaly in a post now adays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors