Which Wood for Exterior Use

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Good morning - I need to repair/upgrade the lattice skirting on our front porch. I want to build a frame with inserted plastic lattice. The frame will be painted. Ideally I would like to use a PVC lumber product but expense precludes that.

I'm looking for suggestions relating to which wood to use - it will be painted, somewhat exposed to weather and have light ground contact (likely mulch contact). The stability of pine concerns me and I don't think I need to go with pressure treated. So what material would you suggest?

Thanks
Rick

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Cypress will do what you're looking for. Or white oak will be fine too.

Red

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I agree, although I would be leery about white oak with ground contact unless you have ongoing trench/drench termite treatment along the area where it will be touching. Termites like white oak as much as any other wood. Treating the bottom board with something like Copper Green will keep them at bay.

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Thanks guys - I should have mentioned that I have some ash on hand - how would that work? Or how about poplar?

Thanks
Rick

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Absolutely don't use poplar. I used poplar once around the bottom of a porch post that was 2 feet off the ground and on concrete and under roof. The poplar started growing mushrooms in 2 years!

I would really suggest pressure treated. You will have to wait a while before it can be painted, but with today's technology, the PT lumber is hard to beat for longevity outdoors.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors