Which wide drum sander is best

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
Hi, I am looking into buying a new wide drum sander. The two that i'm most focused on at the moment are the JET 16-32 and the Performax 19-38. Other sanders I'm looking at are;

Performax 19/38 1.75hp 110v 0-10fpm accuracy 0.01 lots of good reviews $1399.00
JET 10/32 1.5hp 110v 0-10fpm separate motor for drum and conveyor $1119.99
Grizzly 18/36" 1.5hp 110v table moves not head $850
Grizzly 16" closed end 2hp 220v 11fpm $1150
(none of the prices include shipping)

I was hoping someone with experience with one or more of the these machines could help recommend which would be best. I would mostly be using them for sanding pieces that are 3" wide x 20"L x 1.4" thick and also a fair amount of pieces 13" w x 20" L and thickness varies from 1/4" to 2 1/4". I have read online that the JET model has been know to have the head deflect. Which is what I like about the Performax and both Grizzlies. But I can't confirm that so I don't know how true that is. If anyone with more experience with these machines could help that would be very much appreciated. Thank you, Jonny

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Can't help with these choices. I have a delta 16-32 which I don't recommend because you can't get parts. Anyway, It has a stationary head and the bed moves. This makes it a real pain if you need in-feed and out-feed support. I do like the open end for those times I do wide panels for doors or cabinets. Also check out the SuperMax - I've heard good things about it. And buy it through Klingspor to avoid shipping charges.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I searched around for a while before purchasing the Supermax 19/38 from Klingspor. I believe it is the best bang for the buck. Been totally happy with it since purchasing about a year ago.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I have had the Jet 16/32Plus for about 5 years.It has worked very good. Of Course I wish it was bigger but..............

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
thanks so much for all your input, yeah so far i'm leaning to the performax(supermax) that klingspor sells, it seems to get the best reviews for drum sanders in that size... although like golfdad said, the JET seems pretty great too

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have a Jet 22-44 , it works OK, just remember you cant use them like a planer (small incremental movements). The other thing I wish mine did was oscillate , but thats another price point higher.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have had a PerformaX (now Jet) for about 8 to 10 years. It is NOT a planer! I reset the overloaded motor so many times I had to replace it. There is some head deflection, but not that much. I saw somewhere on line (I think Lumberjocks) were a wood outboard brace was fitted to the open side to stabilize the deflection. For a couple of years I was lusting for a Delta. I liked the belt drive & table system. That was then. this is now. I'm very glad I did not swap for the Delta. No parts.

Pop

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
so performax invented the idea of these small drum sanders on light bases many moons ago, they made an awesome product here in the states, MN if i recall correctly. they were making money hand over fist and the original investors wanted to cash out. it happens so they sold to the group that owns JET.

after a couple years JET decided to start making these things overseas for a bit less.

some of the employees at the plant in MN pooled resources and bought rights to make the originals and that is how supermax was born. still rock solid great machines made here in the states to my knowledge, but i've been out of the business for a few years so it may have changed, but i doubt it.

with that said i'd scour craigslist and pick up a 2nd 24" closed end machine if it were me

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I clicked on the link for SuperMax.......looks to me to beIdentical to the Jet...same castings..ect...my guess is there both made in same factory

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I've got a Jet 16-32 that I am very happy with, like others have said, it's not planer, but for its intended use it a great machine. The video that came with mine had a demo that was on a Performax, same machine as I see it.

joec

joe
User
Can't help with these choices. I have a delta 16-32 which I don't recommend because you can't get parts. Anyway, It has a stationary head and the bed moves. This makes it a real pain if you need in-feed and out-feed support. I do like the open end for those times I do wide panels for doors or cabinets. Also check out the SuperMax - I've heard good things about it. And buy it through Klingspor to avoid shipping charges.

I have the Delta and just see that I need the drive sandpaper belt. Any advice on where to get these?

RayH

New User
Ray
I have had both the Jet 16/32 and 10/20. Both worked fine for me. Never experienced head deflection with either, but did not press them. From your description the 10/20 might meet your needs, and it should be more stable due to the shorter drum. Less expensive, too.:icon_thum

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/ds628900/

Good luck with your choice.
Ray

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
60% of what I'd be using it for maybe 30% for panel up to 13" wide and accasstionly 2" think boards by 60" long... What do you think, I really don't foresee anyone of sanding anything over 16" inches so the big thing is parrellism. So again what do you guy recommend I'm still thinking the performax oh and if anyone sees one for sale please let me know

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
Oh yeah and most of the stock is highly figured and very very hard
60% of what I'd be using it for maybe 30% for panel up to 13" wide and accasstionly 2" think boards by 60" long... What do you think, I really don't foresee anyone of sanding anything over 16" inches so the big thing is parrellism. So again what do you guy recommend I'm still thinking the performax oh and if anyone sees one for sale please let me know

cstandi1

New User
chase
I have the Supermax and love it. I read just about everything I could find via google before purchasing and it had the most consistant marks across the brands. The Jet may be a good machine but the I just saw an overwhelming majority recommendation and least ammount of technical/customer service issues for the Supermax across the interwebs when I was researching. If you do decide to go that way I recommend Acme Tools, free shipping and lift gate service.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Supermax dual drum 37". Easy paper changes, great machine. Mine is labeled Performax and Supermax and is made in Minnesota very close to where I grew up

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
When you come by to look at the Dust Collector we can swing by my shop if you have time and I can show you the Supermax 19-38 in operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS