Which jig saw???

Status
Not open for further replies.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I had origiinally wanted a Bosch Barrel handle jig saw. I looked and called around to some Pawn shops in my area. (High Point, Greensboro, Winston Salem, Salisbury, and even Charlotte) . No one seems to have a Bosch Barrel handel jig saw. But I did find a Milwaukee one in Greensboro. I have always heard Milwaukee makes good stuff but are they up to par with bosch, or should I keep looking for a Bosch? :dontknow: I'm in no real hurry for this. I just want a good saw! I dont see paying $200 + for a saw new when I can get a used one for 1/2 price or less.

ALSO.
If anyone knows where I can find a Bosch barrel grip or even the top handle bosch like the barrel grip please let me know. Thanks

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
Thanks Scott... Those prices are not to bad. I saved the page. Going to check around tomorrow and see what I can find first.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I think you'd find the Milwaulkee and Mikita to be on par. Porter Cable used to make one too, no clue where they stand now that they are part of the B&D empire.

As someone who owns the top handle bosch, I wanted to say I think you are wise to go barrel handle. I'm getting close to cutting off the top, it is in the way more often than not.

I think the top handle makes it hard to balance and puts (at least my) arm higher than I'd like.

Otherwise, I've been very happy with the saw and would not hesitate to recommend one.

Jim

M

McRabbet

In defense of the top handle Model 1591EVS of the Bosch jigsaw (which I have), it fits very well if you have smaller hands than the 1590EVS barrel style. I tried to use one of those and I found the motor barrel too big to hold firmly. I've not had any challenge balancing mine... YMMV JMTCW HTH

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I don't have any experience with Milwaukee jig saws, but I have a Sawzall and a 1/2" drill that I have owned for about 40 years, and a 4 1/2 right angle grinder that's about 5 years old that I have not been easy on and they have not failed me. All are showing serious signs of heavy use, but are still running fine. I recently bought a right angle 1/2 drill and I'm now considering their model 5625 3 1/2 hp router for my router table because my experience with their products has been so good.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the condition and price were right.

Charley

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Today only (Saturday) at Rockler's Website is a Bosch JS for $69.99 reduced from $99.99.

Look in the "Deal of the Day" banner

Not the Barrel handled model.

Hope this is your deal

Matt

Last edited:

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I'm not a big guy so that may cause a problem for me. I will have to try one out before I buy either one. Thanks for the warning about the barrel grip jig saw.

In defense of the top handle Model 1591EVS of the Bosch jigsaw (which I have), it fits very well if you have smaller hands than the 1590EVS barrel style. I tried to use one of those and I found the motor barrel too big to hold firmly. I've not had any challenge balancing mine... YMMV JMTCW HTH

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I'm not a big guy so that may cause a problem for me. I will have to try one out before I buy either one. Thanks for the warning about the barrel grip jig saw.

I am average height and have small hands. I find the barrel-grip bosch to be far superior to any top-handle saw. It feels much more precise and controlled for me. With top-handle saws, I always felt my hand was too far away for precise control. Try one out!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Interesting how tools are used in different parts of the world. In Germany they typically use a jigsaw upside down to the way we use one...ie:the blade is pointing up through the workpiece and the workpiece is held chest high. A barrel grip jigsaw makes this method much easier than the top handled version. Festool has taken some heat for the lack of visibility of the blade when their jigsaw is used in the standard 'Merican way of jigsawing. They scratched their heads and didn't understand why we would want to use it "upside down." As John Prine said: "Ooh baby, it's a big ol' goofy world:gar-La;".

I've got the Bosch 1591 Barrel grip jigsaw and have used the heck out of it in the standard 'Merican way. I can palm a basketball too so take that into consideration. It's heavy and I plan for my grandchildren to use it when I'm finished with it.

+1 for CPO Bosch reconditioned tools: http://bosch.cpotools.com/reconditioned_tools/saws/jig_saws/all_jig_saws/
Get on their email list as they have a special deal at least every other month. If they don't have the version you want, call and see when they expect it.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I'm sure that a Milwaukee is a good tool but I think Bosch makes the best jigsaw. I have the accessory table for mine so I can use it like a little scroll saw. You can also get zero clearance plates to minimize splintering. Mine is barrel grip which I like - but I wear extra large gloves.

Jim

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
This is a subject that is near to me.

I currently have a Dewalt POS that I wish i never bought. I can use it for the business and get away with it for the most part, but I really want a good model for the shop. It's really a PITA to have to double up on nearly every tool, but that's life.

In any case, I also want a barrel grip jig saw. At 6'3" with huge hands, a big grip shouldn't be much of a problem for me. Thanks for the links above, I'll keep my eyes on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS