Which chuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

New User
Tom
I just took a basic woodturning class last week. I am going back next month to take a bowl turning class. I want to go ahead and get a chuck for bowl turning. The instructor recommended a "Oneway or Nova". He recommend that we stay away from the Barracuda. Woodcraft currently has the SuperNova on sale for $139, the Oneway looks to be about $300. Woodcraft also has a Woodriver chuck for about$87. Any experience and recommendations would be appreciated.
Wilson

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
When you go back, can you ask about why the instructor doesn't like the Barracuda? I have that on my radar. I have a cheap chuck that uses tommy bars instead of a key and I recommend you get one with a key, but it sounds like the instructor is even more discerning.

Wilson

New User
Tom
Andy,
The instructor said he had a Barracuda and did not like it. I don't remember his complaint but will try to find out.
Wilson

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Oneway has two chucks the Talon for $235 and the Stronghold for $286.

If your lathe is less than 16 inch swing you don't need the Stronghold.

I highly recommend the Oneway chucks.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I agree with the instructor... Oneway and Nova both have good performance records. I have four Nova chucks and have nothing but positive experiences with those. I know other who speak very highly of the Oneways. The Barracudas and other similar chucks seem to have mixed reviews.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I got a great deal on a barracuda chuck system and I love it. The only other chuck I can compare it to was the good will lathe chuck which I think is a oneway. It was nice because it used a chuck key and my barracuda uses tightening levers both of which are very easy to use. The only bad thing about the levers is you can misplace two things instead of just one :gar-La; Also, I had major sticker shock looking at the higher end chucks, they would have cost more than what I paid for my lathe.

The barracuda comes with 4 jaws so factor that into the price difference too.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC2000C.html

I am using a mini lathe tho so if you plan on getting a bigger lathe, maybe something else might be worth looking into.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
When you go back, can you ask about why the instructor doesn't like the Barracuda? I have that on my radar. I have a cheap chuck that uses tommy bars instead of a key and I recommend you get one with a key, but it sounds like the instructor is even more discerning.

If you want to check out the barracuda, let me know. After having someone explain how hard it was to use the tommy bars I can see why they don't like it. I think tommy bars need better instructions on how to use them. They were trying to use one hand per tommy bar when you really only need one hand to manage both and then its as easy as using a chuck key.

CarvedTones

Andy
I need to qualify my earlier statement and question - I was looking at the Barracuda3, which is a keyed smaller chuck. I did not realize the original Barracuda used tommy bars ("tightening levers"). My issues with tommy bars are having to use 2 hands to tighten, being easier to misplace (but on the plus side, they can be replaced generically) and tending to loosen whenever you stop the lathe because of the momentum. But I will have to admit that getting chased around the garage by a spinning bowl blank can liven up an otherwise boring day... :)

The Barracuda probably holds better than my even cheaper one, but the first two points are still relevant.

CarvedTones

Andy
If you want to check out the barracuda, let me know. After having someone explain how hard it was to use the tommy bars I can see why they don't like it. I think tommy bars need better instructions on how to use them. They were trying to use one hand per tommy bar when you really only need one hand to manage both and then its as easy as using a chuck key.

We just did the "simulpost" thing. I can snug up the last little bit with one hand, but you have to get it tight without any shifting first. But mine is not the Barracuda and may have a different gear ratio.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I have 2 of the utility chucks from PSI. I have no complaints about them. I got the jumbo jaws to turn bowls. Ive never used a barracuda2 so I dont know the difference of the key and the tommy bars. Its all in what you get used to using.

CarvedTones

Andy
The key is a chuck key, like for a drill only larger. The tommy bars are a set of two metal rods that you stick in holes to turn the rings to loosen/tighten.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Myself I like the tommy bars better then the keys.
Like already stated you only need 1 tommy bar and 1 hand to mount a piece, then if you want to tighten down on it hard enough to break something after its mounted you can use both bars.

CarvedTones

Andy
I missed the part about using only 1 tommy bar. Now I am thoroughly confused. What keeps the other ring from moving while you move the one? Do you put the single bar in the inner or outer ring? I will have to try this later. My chuck has never crushed anything but the dreams I had for some of my blanks. Don't get me wrong - it usually works fine, but I have had trouble a number of times and the times I don't it still generally will come loose every now and then; I just check it and tighten back up every time I stop.

This is the one I have:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8784

yes, I really am that cheap and yes, I really should know better...

sawduster

New User
Robert
I have a Barracuda keyed chuck and it has done everything I have asked it to do and actually held up very well against all my rookie abuse. It came with 4 sets of jaws and I got a really good deal on it . Not a pro by any stretch but I have no complaints with it :icon_thum

cmccarter

New User
chester
I must agree with the above. I have the PSI 3000c and it works great. The only issue I ever had was turning some small basswood birdhouse tops and that was my fault the wood is just too soft to safely clap and hold.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I have 4 nova,3 with the tommy bars an the G-2 or G-3 , ( don't remember) anyway,I like em all,some folks don't like the tommy bars,but like said,you only need one to mount the piece,then use both of em to finish tightening the piece.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I missed the part about using only 1 tommy bar. Now I am thoroughly confused. What keeps the other ring from moving while you move the one? Do you put the single bar in the inner or outer ring? I will have to try this later. My chuck has never crushed anything but the dreams I had for some of my blanks. Don't get me wrong - it usually works fine, but I have had trouble a number of times and the times I don't it still generally will come loose every now and then; I just check it and tighten back up every time I stop.

This is the one I have:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8784

yes, I really am that cheap and yes, I really should know better...

Holding the work piece on the chuck keeps one ring from turning, then you just need to turn the other ring (inside one I think, I just do it without thinking about which ring it is)

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
In my opinion stay away from the woodcraft brand (when I bought mine it was called a pinnacle, then a woodriver, now I guess they don’t give it a name).
My problems were, screws loosened holding the jaws on. Caught it will the tip of a gouge (no harm to the gouge) and broke the end off a jaw slide. The jaw slide appears to be cast iron, not steel. No stop screw when opening jaws. Jaws very poorly numbered, be prepared to have your dremel ready to engrave them for when you do crank them too far open and they fall out. I now only use them with the pin jaws.
I also have a SN, SN2, and G3 with no problems with any of them.
In regards to the tommy bar type chuck (the pinncale has tommy bars).
If you have done flat work you have probably used a router. The bars work the same as the two wrenches to tighten a bit in a router. You only need one hand to squeeze them shut or open. It is fast acting to spin down the jaws to where they are making contact on the wood. On the pinnacle, to tighten, the outer bar is in front, to loosen the outer bar is behind the inner bar. Or your can lock the spindle and just use one bar.
I would think any chuck with the bars will work the same way but I am not sure.
The SN2 on sale is a good price.
If you get a Nova get the Nova insert (the generic inserts are not made the same).

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
i have 2 SN2s and a woodriver all perform well the novas being the best but no compaints or problems with the woodriver either. a ggod value for the $$ .

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I have had good luck with my woodriver chuck, in fact I like it better then my PSI chuck.
Its stronger and better then the PSI IMO.

Of course my PSI chuck is good also, does every thing I ask of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS