Which Are You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
I wasn't sure which category to post this under, but prompted by discussions in the Hand Tools/Use category under the "Buck Brothers Planes..." post, it dawned on me.

All who practice woodworking fall into two very broad, but basic categories:
1) those who use tools to build stuff, and
2) those who build stuff to use tools.
I am of the first group.

Look hard and be honest. Which are you?

Neither are right or wrong, but each define us and hint at or reveal, I believe, our motives for working the trade.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Bob
Very thoughtful question....Is it possible to straddle the fence on this one? Generally I can more easily justify a new tool if I have a project where it will be "needed"...so I guess that puts me in the "use tools to build stuff" category. On the other hand, since I get a lot of satisfaction out of building things to store and protect my tools and see the "tool as the project" then I might as easily be classified in the latter category.
Maybe I am in the "Use tools to build stuff to use tools" congregation?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I make things that have a purpose, so they are put to use right away. I can't see making something "just because"

I am also of the very strong opinion there is more than one way to skin a deer. I mean you can use a knife and carefully cut the skin a way from the flesh leaving as much meat as you can or you can hook it up to your truck and rip the skin off and waste big chunks of meat that is still attached to the skin.

So I make due with what I have - a new tool purchase is a big deal to me, even the smallest of hand tools.

I guess I fall into the first catagory.

it's natures way of telling you somethings wrong
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0V0Vu_utUZY

Last edited:

ste6168

New User
Mike
Hmm... I tend to think that I am of the second group, I build things to use tools. I am always looking for a project to do, something to keep my hands occupied. I sit on a computer for 80% of my day (IT), so when I am home from work, I can't stand to look at a screen. If I don't have a specific need, I look for things to make/fix/build/tinker-with so that I have a chance to use the tools, and my hands.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I think I would agree with Mike(ste6168), I sit for 8hrs a day behind a computer monitor so by the time I get home I don't want to sit any longer. Luckily for me the wife has a never ended list of things that need to be built. Plus after 8 hrs of drafting on the computer I want to do something more with my hands than move a mouse and mash keys on a keyboard.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I'm sorta betwixt and between. I find that what I like to do is make tools. Sometimes, I build a special box to hold a tool.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I guess I'm a #1 - to build stuff. I've come to realize that just about everything I like doing involves making something with my hands (whether the hands are triggering electrons or not).
That said, I do like tools. Tools that I like get more use. Tools that I hate get little use (I'm looking at you, Dremel).

Richo B

New User
Richo
I'm new to hobby woodworking. I've bought about all the tools I'm going to buy for a while. I don't have a lot of need for more stuff around the house so honestly I'm in the second group. This is one of my many hobbies. I do some woodworking at work with both power and hand tools in order to make things to help with my primary job (taking care of antiques). So at home I want to tinker with stuff and mess around. I look for projects that will make use of the tools I have without needing more but also stimulate me for a couple hours on a Saturday afternoon.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I never like these kinds of two category questions because things are rarely that simple. I say the following:

"There are two kinds of people, those who lump people into two categories and those who don't." :p

That being said, I use tools to make things that I want. I also love nice tools and enjoy using them. I can't imagine making something for no reason other than to use tools. Although, at the same time, I can argue that every one of us could get the end result of our project without making it ourselves. We could buy a pre-made item (do we really need a custom dresser instead of the one offered at IKEA, they both serve the same purpose at the end of the day) or we could hire someone to make the custom item for us at a cost. Either way, we don't *have* to make it ourselves. So in a way, if you are a hobbyist woodworker, all your projects are really just an excuse to use tools. Again, I don't see this as a black and white thing.

I go out of my way to practice the art of woodworking because I enjoy it. That can't be done without using tools.

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
I fall into both categories. My shop is not only to get an end result of project but is also my stress reliever. If I don't have a particular project I need to work on but need my shop time, I'll make something up just so I can design, measure, cut, and use the tools. When I have something I need to do, albeit it's still a stress reliever, my shop has a different purpose.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I usually try to make do with the tools at hand while incorporating work-arounds in the design to accommodate those tools. Most of my stuff is generally one-off.

Do I need an expensive jig to make box joints? No, they can be done with pretty good accuracy with a shop made jig.

Do I need a Domino gizmo for joinery? No, floating tenons can be made with a plunge router.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
All who practice woodworking fall into two very broad, but basic categories:
1) those who use tools to build stuff,

2) those who build stuff to use tools.

Its hard to imagine NOT falling in both categories after 35 years of constant woodwork. I work as an amateur and professionally. I buy tools from time to time when I have needed them for a specific task(veneer punch for burl repair). Years later I have used it to make an unusual feature on a completely different piece.

After building a veneer press for a big project, I now build bigger veneer projects because I can veneer large sections up when things are slow so I have them when needed. This fills slow shop time and helps ring up sales faster when they come.

Veneer_Press_0141.jpg

IMG_02104.jpg

those who build stuff to use tools
I certainly fall in this group when I am planning to carve a rifle. My work is sketched out on the rifle but I have to change as I go to accommodate the sweeps I have on the bench. I don't go out and buy new sweeps -- they are just too expensive. I have forged carving tools that I spent hours making but only use for a minute. Job can't be done without it so in my small brain I feel justified doing it.

veneer_005.JPG

patchbox_inlet_010.JPG

patchbox_inlet_013.JPG

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I also do office work for a living and enjoy doing more physical things with my spare time. Woodworking is part of that but I also do drywall work on the house, wiring on the house, fix cars, etc.. My satisfaction is mainly by the completion of the task but is increased if I learned something in the process. The learning opportunity could be the use of a new tool but it could also be something associated with the task. It's OK if I just get whatever I'm working on done, however. Only really bad result is attempting something and then having to pay somebody to finish it. Hasn't really happened on a woodworking project - so I tend to take on more in that area.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
If there is something I want or need to make I use tools to that end.
if I just want to do something for fun, a sit at my scroll saw just to have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors