Where's your favorite NC exotic wood store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blbradford

New User
Bruce
Hello- I am very new:embaresse to the forum and this is my first post. I am planning my next projects and need some curly maple for one project which are some rather large picture frames.

The next project is some long bar tops that I would like to make with some highly figured hardwood slab.

Which store do you like to shop in NC? Although I live in Raleigh, I can make a trip for the right price and perfect piece.:eek:ccasion1

Bruce

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Bruce! I would start with our Wood Suppliers list coming from Wake Co. I would say the the NC Hardwood Store has the best selection, closest. The local Klingspor can have some really nice stock, but it's hit and miss as they don't carry a huge amount of inventory.
Some of the local sawyers can provide you with figured slabs that wouldn't generally make it to the main-stream market.
Of course there is also on-line sales if you really want the cream-of-the crop figured woods.
Good luck, finding the best figured stock is about as sweet as finding a pearl in your oyster.

Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Bruce. The Raleigh Klingspor store has had a very nice supply of slab wood as of late. I would surely pay them a visit.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Bruce,

I addition to the sources already mentioned, you might consider Steve Wall Lumber http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp although that's a bit more of a trip from Raleigh... maybe hour and a half. I've gotten some nice wood from them.

On other news fronts... since this was your first post, I'd like to suggest that you post a thread to the Who We Are forum. That's where our new members post an introduction; nothing too formal... maybe a bit about what you like to build, or projects you have attempted. I'd also encourage you to post photos of your work, your shop, your tools, your sawdust... we love photos here. And tomorrow evening (every Thursday evening) we host a chat session specifically for new members. Why not join in? Meet a few of the members.

Welcome to NCWW

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Yet another suggestion to try Klingspor. As mentioned, they can be hit or miss, but curly maple seems to be a staple there. And they do generally have some slabs on hand. And welcome, neighbor!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Bruce,

I think you've gotten some great advice so far, so I'm just going to say welcome to the site! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I look forward to seeing your projects and also your input in the forums. :icon_thum

blbradford

New User
Bruce
Thank you for the welcome and the ideas. Have you shopped at The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville? I wonder what type of inventory they have on slabs.

I will post some of my recent work on "Who We Are" once I figure out Where It Is and How To Do It :gar-La;

Thanks again for your comments.:eek:ccasion1

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
If you make it to the Asheville area, Cormark is awesome. I've been there too many times to make my checkbook (or loml) happy. You name it they probably have it. Jason or any one of the others guys is happy to walk you through their warehouse and answer questions while you browse.
They have an on-line sales and are listed in our wood vendor section.
Look at their website and you get the gist of them.
Most of the retail stores within driving distance I've been to sell their products.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Bruce,

WELCOME A BOARD (sic)!

Here's a couple more sources for hardwood and exotics in Raleigh:

- Capital City Lumber (near The Fairgrounds just off Hillsborough Street (nice selection of rough cut hardwoods): http://www.capitolcitylumber.com/

- Woodcraft in West Raleigh, off 70/Glenwood across from Pleasant Valley Promonade (more limited than Klingspor): http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=532

- American Woodyards, a tiny sawyer operation between Hillsborough St. and the railroad tracks, just across from The Fairgrounds: http://www.americanwoodyards.com/Contact-Us.aspx

As already noted, there are numerous mills outside town and many woodworking/cabinet shops in town, both easily found on the internet or the NCWW link DaveO mentioned (and many of the sawmill owners appear to frequent this site). I'd think in this economy everyone's fair game, I suggest contacting local shops because 'you never know'. They may even sell you a low cost package deal (cut and/or glue up, etc.), just to make 'busy work'/cost sales. Along with that you might consider contacting a local portable mill owner such as this guy: http://www.lynchconc.com/

The Habitat for Humanity ReStores in the area sometimes have the strangest thing in their racks, the Raleigh store was selling the NC State Arena floor a couple years back. And then there's pallets, some of them are more worthy of attention than you'd think. If you have a wood stove or fireplace the effort won't be wasted, you can just burn what you don't want.

There are also numerous sites online for exotic lumber as well, too many to mention but, the most obvious (aside from the one DaveO linked to) are Ebay and Craigslist (materials for sale).

Just a thought, ever think of harvesting your own wood? If you have the space and the extra bucks you could easily (and cheaply) build a 'solar kiln' for drying your own stock.

One thing's for sure, we've got plenty of wood in this area.

Dean

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Bruce,

Welcome to NCWW. You'll find no shortage of helpful input, suggestions, and information sharing.
If you want critique, just ask for it. It's all done in a friendly and constructive way.

A few years ago Dave O told me: "The only dumb question is the one not asked". I've found that to be true.

Welcome again! :eek:ccasion1

JJD

New User
John
I shop at the NC Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. They are VERY helpful there and have a great collection of different species. Check their inventory listing online. Not sure what they might have in the area of slabs, but you never know. A few years ago I was looking for cherry for a cabinet and was picking through the regular stuff (at 6-8" widths) lamenting the fact that I would have to do some major glueups. I suggested as much to one of the guys working there (the one with the suspenders that look like rulers....cannot remember his name but a nice guy), and he just happened to recall an entire pallet of 12" wide cherry in the back. He fired up the forklift, moved a couple of other pallets, then hauled out and untied this huge pallet of the most beautiful 12" cherry I ever saw. "Take your pick" he said!!!

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome Bruce, fellow Triangler here (Apex).

Looks like everyone has mentioned all my usual haunts. I would suggest going and visiting each one to see for yourself. It helps to price a few specific species across all the stores to get a sense for how each prices out. (Not sure about you, but I get so dazzled in hardwood stores that I completely loose all objectiveness.) Here's my preferences in order with comments:

1. North Carolina Woodworker -- There are a number of sawyers, shops, and serious craftsmen posting here with truly fabulous wood at phenomenal deals. You have to keep an eye on the postings and get to a shop crawl or lunch to meet the people that can connect you to the best stuff. It's ok to post requests in the Wanted section, too.
2. Klingspor -- Great prices, great selection, and they've recently re-arranged the store to hold quite a bit of inventory. Also great woodworking tools and supplies.
3. NC Hardwood -- Best prices, best selection, biggest inventory (actually a warehouse). Only problem is the 2 hour drive round trip to Gibsonville. I usually try to talk another North Carolina Woodworker member in to making the trip with me to split gas and have some conversation. But they also deliver in the Triangle for a flat fee of $35, you just can't pick through it yourself then.
4. craigslist -- Plenty of good deals to be had, but you have to be patient. I recently bought about 350 bd.ft. of maple for about $1/bd. foot! (<-- stealth gloat)
5. Woodcraft -- Small collection of premium quality wood and tools at retail prices, good if you just need a tiny bit of something exotic.
6. Wurth Lumber -- Good prices on a large inventory of sheet goods. No longer have much hardwood.
7. Capital City Lumber -- Good selection of high quality wood (and hardware) in a nice atmosphere. At retail prices plus, though.
8. Burke Brothers Hardware -- No hardwoods whatsoever, but easily the best selection of retail hardware I've seen. Thought I'd throw that in since I distracted myself with hardware on the previous entry which is only about a block away from this place. :)

blbradford

New User
Bruce
WoW!! Thanks- Kyle has tons of options and posted on his web page. I can imagine his inventory is bigger than The Hardware Store

bluthart

New User
Brian
Kyle has some amazing stuff and is definately worth the drive. I am lucky enough to live 3 miles from him though. :wsmile: Great guy, great wood, cool shop and sawmill...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS