Where to Shop for Power tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absinthe

New User
Abs
Seems that the big-box stores are not showing much in the way of mid to upper end tools. I hve been told that their higher end stuff is available on their website. But I would like to handle a tool before putting out folding money for it, right?

I haven't been to a sears in a while, but I gear they will be the same..

I am not sure there are specific woodworking stores too close to me. An though they show their whole line in all their stores, I don't thingl Harbor Freight is all that optimal a choice.

Suggestions? I am in Mooresville, NC

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Depending on what you need...I've found good deals for new stuff at Klingspor in Hickory, also at Woodcraft in Matthews. Klingspor is a great NCWW supporter, so I try to buy from them every chance I get. They also have a great extravaganza in October, you can get usually find a good discount on machines during that, it's at the Hickory Convention Center. There should be ads on this site giving dates and times.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another thumbs up for Klingspor, they have always been very helpful. Also here is another option right there in Mooresville - go see Rick at the Moulding Source, another longtime supporter of NCWW. I seem to remember they are on Azalea Drive

Last edited:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Another thumbs up for Klingspor, and also Woodcraft.

If you're looking for "high end" woodworking tools such as sanders, track saws, routers, etc, check out Festool branded products at the aforementioned stores. Pricey, but for many of us the quality is unsurpassed.

If you're looking for higher end equipment, there are a lot of pro's and cons depending upon what you're looking for. NCWW is a great place to start a discussion regarding needs and best brands.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought my table saw at Klingspor over 20 years ago and my band saw at the same place about 7-8 years ago. Couldn't be happier with the selection, service, price, and the folks there are friendly and helpful unlike most other stores.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Klingspor Extravaganza is coming up in late October. This two-day event will have all the power tool vendors that they supply from in one place and usually special deals on the equipment. If you can wait till then, it would be a real good way to see a lot and learn a lot.

It's at the Hickory Convention Center just off I-40.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
The Klingspor Woodworking Extravaganza Has all the vendors there and the deals are great on the last day. They don't want to load all those machines back on the truck.

Pop
:eusa_danc

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
Personally I'd stick with klingspor or Woodcraft. The big box and Harbor Freight are junk. I know from experience. I've purchased several machines over the years. before buying from the big box or some outlet I'd buy a good used quality machine from an individual. Just my 2cents

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I shop at Klingspor in Winston-Salem and rely on them for good selection, great service, knowledgeable advice and competitive pricing. As others have said, if you can wait until the Extravaganza in Hickory, you may find the items you want at special prices. Klingspor also supports NCWW.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I have had very good luck with finding what I need on Craigslist at less than half the cost of buying new. The kind of tools/machines you're talking about don't really wear out in a home shop situation and if the motor works when you turn it on and again after running it for 10 minutes or so that's the main thing that you need to worry about. If the shop is in fairly good shape it's a good gamble that the equipment is too. Here's an example currently listed about 30 miles south of you on the CLT Craigslist:
Delta Unisaw w/nice miter gauge, outfeed and extension. The saw needs to have an hour of work put into the cast iron top w/WD40 and sandpaper for it to be in "excellent" shape but the rust affects nothing other than looks. Depending on what he includes, this saw by itself is probably worth a little less than what he's asking. The miter gauge is worth over $100 on its own. If he throws in a decent dado set, an extra blade, insert plates and a mortise/tenon jig you will be close to his asking price for everything (including the saw) if you need to buy them new. This is not my ad and I have no interest or know the seller, yada, yada:
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/5822383541.html

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
What tools are you looking for? Several times the members here have pointed me to good deals and ideas to consider. Many of us don't mind helping search.

Absinthe

New User
Abs
Nothing specific now. But sometimes you just wake up and decide that hey, I don't have enough tools, I think I'll buy a bandsaw.... :)

FlyingRon

Ron
Klingspor did me right on my SawStop purchase.
Rick (TheWoodworkingSource/TheFesstoolSource) has shopfox and festool.

Both are long time friends of NCWW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors