Where to put router in a table?

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
I am designing a multipurpose work table for the shop. The table will be 4’x8’ and will be an assembly, cross and rip cut surface for sheet goods, router table, and storage. I plan on putting the router on one of the 4’ ends. Since I am not constrained to a certain amount of space such as my old setup in the wing of a Tablesaw, I am undecided on how far to put the router from the edge of the table. If you had a blank canvas, how far would you have the bit of the router from the edge of the table?

Thanks
Paul

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Don't have an exact answer, but something to think about: How often will you have to reach the router under the table? That may help determine how far back you put it from the edge. If you can raise/lower and change bits from above the table, then you probably won't have to go underneath very often and can push it further back.

Another consideration is how you position yourself when routing. Do you like to lean over and look down at the bit, or do you like to lean back with your arms fully extended.

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Don't have an exact answer, but something to think about: How often will you have to reach the router under the table? That may help determine how far back you put it from the edge. If you can raise/lower and change bits from above the table, then you probably won't have to go underneath very often and can push it further back.

Another consideration is how you position yourself when routing. Do you like to lean over and look down at the bit, or do you like to lean back with your arms fully extended.
Thanks for those good points to consider Bill.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I think a long fence is misleading. I would only want it long enough to keep flat while the work is in front of the bit. Same kind of thing as a miter saw fence.

I would put the router in about the center of the width for support to each end. My first table ( Rockler), it was pretty far away from me. I use a SawStop iron table now and front edge seems about right for everything I have done. It is just past the back of the saw table and in a 5 foot outfeed, so, basically just left of center in about an 8 foot side. Works for me. I guess if one ran large diameter stuff and you occasionally need a lot of front to bit, you could rig a flip up or removeable front shelf.

Even though I can lift from the top, I have to reach under to get to the speed, lift lock, and spindle lock. ( Tridon router on a Kreg plate)

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
+1 on what Bill said. I would put the center of the router insert no more than 12" in from the front edge. I think mine is about 10". I recommend a router that has above table bit change capability.

Any further than that and you'll be leaning too much to make bit changes, etc.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Just checked. Mine is 8 1/2. I think I would go a little more, 10 probably right. Or a clamp on front extension for running door panels maybe. My clamp on front extensions on the TS work great.

I guess the ideal router is one that is old PC format as it fits more lifts. But newer big routers are soft start, so most remote speed controls won't work. Only on old school brush-type motors. Between the spindle lock and speed control, I use a shroud instead of a full lower box. Lot's to think about.

I have a phenolic plate and plastic inserts. No problem with warpage, but I see folks like Rockler have aluminum plates. Fancy lifts are of course aluminum. I wish they were a standard size. Standards are great as there are so many to choose from. ( at least three for plates, darn near every router. )

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I am designing a multipurpose work table for the shop. The table will be 4’x8’ and will be an assembly, cross and rip cut surface for sheet goods, router table, and storage. I plan on putting the router on one of the 4’ ends. Since I am not constrained to a certain amount of space such as my old setup in the wing of a Tablesaw, I am undecided on how far to put the router from the edge of the table. If you had a blank canvas, how far would you have the bit of the router from the edge of the table?

Thanks
Paul
Look at the Router tables for sale by Kreg etc. They likely did some Market Research and came up with a design folks are paying dearly for. Some reinvented wheels don't roll well!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS