Where to look for hand tools in person?

Slowbad

New User
Steven
My interest in hand tools started at the beginning of the pandemic. Unfortunately that meant I couldn't look for cheaper tools at in person events and eBay isn't a good place for deals, just availability. Are there flea markets or other places in the NC area that could have people selling hand tools? I've been to Cooks Flea Market in Winston Salem but I don't know where to look for others.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
It depends on what you're looking for.
If vintage user quality tools then junk shops and flea markets, especially ones with outdoor stalls. And the rattier the junk shop is the better your chances of finding one cheap.

I rarely buy anything at an "antique" shop and only once or twice at an estate sale.

Usually stick to my hard cap of $25 for planes... A little more for harder to find types. I also don't buy anything made after 1947.

Almost all of these tools came from flea markets and junk shops....

PXL_20220708_232939748.jpg

PXL_20220708_233833012.jpg

PXL_20220708_233821596.jpg

PXL_20220708_233712696.jpg

PXL_20220708_233719770.jpg

PXL_20220708_233740934.jpg

Last edited:

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
If vintage user quality tools then junk shops and flea markets, especially ones with outdoor stalls. And the rattier the junk shop is the better your chances of finding one cheap.

I rarely buy anything at an "antique" shop and only once or twice at an estate sale.

Usually stick to my hard cap of $25 for planes... A little more for harder to find types. I also don't buy anything made after 1947.

View attachment 211830

View attachment 211831

View attachment 211832

View attachment 211833

View attachment 211834

View attachment 211835
Damn! My shoulders hurt just looking at all that.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I usually use Facebook marketplace. And it mostly depends on how much work you want to do to restore them. Someone has 5 or 6 planes for sale in Raleigh right now, reasonable price/condition.
Also, Mike what are you selling??

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Consider adopting a go/no-go qualifier. If the plane iron has no rust or rust pitting then the plane could be considered.
Estate sales are hit or miss. Mostly miss, but if you don't go fishing, its guaranteed that you won't catch fish.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lost in Time Antique Mall in Winston-Salem (Marketplace Mall on Peters Creek Pkwy) occasionally has some decent stuff. I've also bought a few things from a place in Kernersville called Cooper's Vintage Village on Hwy 66.

If you can, take a look at what Mike has for sale

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member

View attachment 211830

View attachment 211831

View attachment 211832

View attachment 211833

View attachment 211834

View attachment 211835
No wonder why I can't find any. COLLECTORS! :)

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Antique malls, flea markets, estate sales, horse trading with fellow tool hoarders, y’all know who you are, and at one time eBay. I also recommend the Mid Western Tool Collectors Association. going to one of their events can cause convulsions and spontaneous dickering, and a disruption in household cash flow. But what a way to go.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I have a NCWW member visiting today... he's leaving with a few tools from the collection.
Had a great time at it too! I'll post a few pics when I'm settled at home for the evening.

For OP: it's worth getting to know the people near you for many many reasons. You may not leave with tools but most are willing to teach you and let you use them for a project. At least in my experience.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
It was a great time indeed. I made a new friend, got to talk shop, gave a little instruction, cut myself....... Awesome morning.

Had a great time at it too! I'll post a few pics when I'm settled at home for the evening.

For OP: it's worth getting to know the people near you for many many reasons. You may not leave with tools but most are willing to teach you and let you use them for a project. At least in my experience.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
My interest in hand tools started at the beginning of the pandemic. Unfortunately that meant I couldn't look for cheaper tools at in person events and eBay isn't a good place for deals, just availability. Are there flea markets or other places in the NC area that could have people selling hand tools? I've been to Cooks Flea Market in Winston Salem but I don't know where to look for others.
Check out the Midwest Tool Collectors Association (MWTCA). We have a chapter in NC and there is normally a swap and sale session before/after each meeting. The meetings rotate around the state. A large get-together happens most years at the September meeting in Raleigh.

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
I go to Auctionzip.com to find auctions near me. I picked up all these items for $130. Once in a while, you get lucky.

Attachments

• IMG_20210611_222135092.jpg
    IMG_20210611_222135092.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 85

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I know you mentioned in person, but there are few FB groups that are dedicated to buying/selling hand tools and hand planes. The prices are not giveaway, but much better than eBay!

Slowbad

New User
Steven
Thanks everyone for the heads up of where to look. Right now I’ve got most of my basics covered for hand tools. I’m specifically looking for a rabbet/moving fillister plane and a plow plane or combination plane.

Mike, I’ll PM you soon about taking a look at what you have for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I have seen several fillisters lately.... there were nice examples at Franklin's and Poor Charlie's in New Bern last time I was there.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for the heads up of where to look. Right now I’ve got most of my basics covered for hand tools. I’m specifically looking for a rabbet/moving fillister plane and a plow plane or combination plane.

Mike, I’ll PM you soon about taking a look at what you have for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steven,
I PM'ed you - I have a #78 that I am getting ready to sell... it is tuned-up and ready to work.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS