Where to get a slow speed bench grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
I am needing a grinder to sharpen turning tools, almost solely bowl and spindle gouges. The Woodcraft slow speed grinder has been popular, but I can't seem to find it listed on their website and I don't need a Tormek. Any ideas where to look?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have one of the Delta variable speed grinders that Bill mentioned.

I added the Wolverine Grinding Jig to it and it does just fine for me for gouges, once set up.

Wayne

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 for the Delta.

It was a number of years ago but I got my Delta 8" variable speed grinder at Lowes.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I have the Delta as well (guess it's about 6-7 years old now) and it is a nice 8" bench grinder with a speed range of about 1800-3600RPM.

My recollection (I have not used mine much lately) is that the white wheel is 60-grit (friable aluminum oxide) and suitable for grinding most of our woodworking tools, but you may or may not wish to add a finer wheel (e.g. 80 or 120-grit) as well depending upon your personal tastes. The gray wheel is 36-grit silicon carbide IIRC, and most suitable for grinding gardening tools rather than woodworking tools. FWIW, I don't use mine for turning tools since I have no lathe, so these are just observations based upon my other uses.

I did add the Veritas tool rests since the original tool rests on these grinders tend to leave much to be desired.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
The Delta 23-199 variable speed looks like a good machine, although there is a considerable amount of unsatisfactory reviews on it. Same thing with the similar Porter Cable grinder. Woodcraft answered one of my contact emails, but not the one about why their grinder isn't listed on the catalog website. I have found that several sellers have gone entirely to Tormek and Work Sharp. The General machine looks good and I have been happy with their equipment, although I would prefer 1" wheels than 3/4". The Palmgren 82064 got good reviews by American Woodworker.

Seems like all of the grinder have tool rests that need replacing. And for turning, I have tried Mike Mahoney's free hand method and do much better with a jig which adds another bunch of money to the grinder. I guess I just don't know why there isn't a reasonable slow speed (or two speed) grinder available that has good tool rests, has good white wheels, doesn't wobble out of the box, and is a reasonable price.

Guess I will keep looking. "Need" to go to Lowe's, maybe I will see something I have to have.

DanR

New User
Dan
I think that the Delta is no longer available, but the Porter Cable is (same company, right?). I bought one about 6 weeks ago at Lowes. It seems fine, no vibration to speak of. I replaced one of the wheels with a blue Norton (I forget if it is 80 or 100 grit). I like it. This replaced my Harbor Freight grinder which had a wobbling wheel on the right side.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
I did get a reply from Woodcraft about their slow grinder. It is not available. They are coming out with a new model in about 3 months.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Guy,
The Porter Cable at Lowes is almost identical to the old Delta grinder - I have the Delta and think it is great!

Lowes has a pretty good return policy - I would ask that you are not sure about it, bring it home and try it out - you will probably be happy, but if not Lowes will likely take it back!

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Timing is a problem, as always. I get a small shipment to my duty station each summer and they came Friday to pack. So, on Wednesday I bought the 8" Porter Cable vs grinder at Lowes. It seems almost identical to the Delta. The display model seemed to be great. The grinder rests seem to be better than most, although I will be replacing one with a veritas model. Now to to order a wheel. The grinder comes with a 36 and 80 grit. I am thinking I would rather have an 80 and 120 grit, or thereabouts.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I was watching the dvd that came with my Oneway Woverine jig this afternoon and on that video they were sharpening all the turning tools with 36 and 80 grit wheels. Not necessaily what I would guessed, but that's what they were recommending. I'd say give the wheels you have a try and if you don't like the results then change to something finer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors