Where to find this molding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazart

New User
Steve
I'm trying to match the molding on my fireplace to put around the cabinets that will go next to them. Does anyone know how I can find if any place makes or sells this type of molding?

(I tried to add them using the My Photos button but it said I didn't have any photos.)

showphoto.php

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=84047&title=fireplace-molding&cat=3086

showphoto.php

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=84046&title=fireplace-molding&cat=3086

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike beat me to it. Rick at the Moulding Source in Mooresville can make pretty much anything you can imagine and is a great person to work with.

He also supports our group here. Highly recommended.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
That's a custom profile, but depending on how long ago it was installed, someone local probably made it. The trouble is, as you know, is finding that someone. Chances are, it was a local millwork company and many of those sadly , have gone under in the past 20 years or so.
How many feet do you need? You could easily make yourself with by stacking profiles. Im sure I have profiles to make it stacked or multiple setups on the shaper
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 262

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Chris, you are right made up of two pcs it appears looking hard at it, Radius may well be half round, applied onto substrate similar to 1x4, with a concave radius that seems to match the half round convex radius. If you could see thru the paint you may very well see the nails thru the half round. :D:)

Dazart, what are the dimensions?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have to disagree about the original being 2 piece. Look at the second photo link. As old as it is, and the fact that there is a relief let into the back face, I think it was all 1 piece. Also, you have to consider that SYP was so plentiful and cheap back then there would have been no need to make it 2 piece. Just mill it and dump the sawdust out back. That's where some of our most valued mulch came from 25 years ago. Either way, Rick could cut a set of knives if he doesn't already have some. Not sure what he would get for that, but you could be sure it would be a spot on match.

Last edited:

Colin Helms

Colin
User
I can run this molding for you. I have run something very close to what you are showing. If what I have is not the same as what you need, I can have the knives made and run the footage that you need. I can work up some numbers for the cost of the knives and molding. I will be out of town all of next week, we can get together after I get back. I live in S. Charlotte off Rea Road.
Colin Helms

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
If you look at the grain pattern you can see it is two pieces with one being a half round applied at the top. The other piece could have been chair rail or door/window casing which usually has a relief on the back side. Just my opinion.

Jerry

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Question to the OP. Why not just buy all new molding of an acceptable design and forget about matching what you already have? By the time that you pay someone to make/match you'll be upside down. It won't won't hurt to check with Rick DiNardo to see if he has or can get something close.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Whoa! That profile looks totally askew from the originals. Are we looking at a mitered end? That would explain the nail hole.

DannysBoy

New User
Connor
Id say just get something different man that's a goose chase or an expensive match for a little bit of trim. If you want something similar, grab some RB3 moulding from Home Depot, rip the flat of the profile off, squish it together and you're lookin at something #### close. Other than that, I'd maybe rip the top off of some picture moulding and run it?

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
That does look like that might be it. I think if I can't find it and need to have someone custom make it I'll go ahead and use something different.

I took another picture to show it's just 1 piece.

20171014_193839.jpg

The other picture had me fooled--------then I went back and looked closer, I agree it is one piece

Jerry

Colin Helms

Colin
User
dazart,
I just wanted to show you the profile that I cut for another customer, sorry I don't have time to check all the profiles that I have run. I am a 1 man shop and I do work for lumber yards, contractors and customers wanting something. I know that I have cut another larger profile but I just don't have time since I am going to Florida in the AM.
IMG_20171015_204854.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS