Where to find Jet Drill Press handle

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
So the drill press crank handle for my Jet JDP-17MFW shattered the other day while turning it. Gluing it back together is not an option. Looking for recommendations on replacement part that is not $35 plus S/H. Does anyone know another more economical place to buy, comparable item, or a way to make a sturdier version?

Besides the wait time, any cons to ordering one of these? Bore size is the same. Seems like all the less expensive options ship directly from China.

Thanks.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well, they will ALL come from China. I suspect the same crank is used on virtually every other drill.
Bore size, but how is the torque transferred? Just the set screw? ( pretty poor design if so, I might go look at my Delta)

So, your entire crank is plastic? Every drill I have had was cast iron. Only the handle was plastic. I see another one on e-bay that seems to be metal. Look at replacement parts for Griz ,Centreal, and other brands, but not likely to be any cheaper.

The part on ereplacements looks like it is metal with only the handle in plastic. The above e-bay crank looks to be plastic. That they are sold in sets of two should say something. If only the handle part is broken, make one from wood, a bit of tube over a bolt, form one from epoxy putty.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Well, they will ALL come from China. I suspect the same crank is used on virtually every other drill.
Bore size, but how is the torque transferred? Just the set screw? ( pretty poor design if so, I might go look at my Delta)

So, your entire crank is plastic? Every drill I have had was cast iron. Only the handle was plastic. I see another one on e-bay that seems to be metal. Look at replacement parts for Griz ,Centreal, and other brands, but not likely to be any cheaper.

The part on ereplacements looks like it is metal with only the handle in plastic. The above e-bay crank looks to be plastic. That they are sold in sets of two should say something. If only the handle part is broken, make one from wood, a bit of tube over a bolt, form one from epoxy putty.

Thanks. You are correct, they all come from China, but some ship from the US and don't take 6 weeks to get here. My broken one which is an original Jet part, with the exception of a metal sleeve which the set screw goes through, is all plastic. Let me look again at the ereplacement one, I did not think they were metal. Thanks.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Have you checked with any of the industrial supply companies like MSC or Enco? They probably have something similar.

Roy G

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Gonzalo, can you make one out of wood? Just wondering???
The elevation crank handle on my metal-working drill press broke recently. It looked like a painted metal die casting but it was made of CPS. From this:
DE028584-D9C5-4E3F-9898-C15803C381B2.jpeg

I sawed off the curved part of the handle and cut a recess for the original hub in a maple block. The nut for the handle is in a hexagonal recess. Just made it today but it feels sturdy enough to last a while.
8A22654E-C156-4D9E-BB7B-1575237B2685.jpeg

EDIT - Added a few finishing touches.
7D7B7D79-3D9D-4498-936F-477FEC82495A.jpeg

0E2A029E-722C-41E8-A6AB-26B0EB5A397F.jpeg

Last edited:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
My drill press had the same crank handle..and it failed the same way, after 20-plus years (not a bad run actually).

Like you I couldn't bear the thought of spending that much money on a fundamentally bad design, so I welded one up out of a common nut (reamed to remove the threads) welded to a bit of bent flat-stock. Re-used the plastic rotating handle.

I made the arm of the crank a little longer to improve the ergonomics - one benefit of the DIY approach.

-Mark

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS