Where to find froe, adz, hatchet, and axe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Smith

New User
Josh
Hi there,

I am brand new to woodworking and have been reading Roy Underhill's first book. I am very interested in working wood with only hand tools. The only tools I have are a drawknife (from my grandfather) and an axe from lowes. I live in Columbia, SC and have been visiting every antique store/flea market in the area with no success.

My wife and I are meeting some friends in Asheville in a couple of weeks. Are there any good places up there where I could find workable carpenters hatchet, froe and adz? Would it be a better bet for me to save up and purchase new tools?

Thanks for any advice that will help as I get started working wood.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
To the best of my memory (which isn't what it used to be) there is a hand tool store associated with Roy's school. Contact Bill Anderson here at this site, he would be your best bet. Froes were often made by a blacksmith from an old automobile spring. MidWest Tool Collectors meets next Saturday at Ed Hobbs, and most likely one of the sellers there will have what you are looking for.

Josh Smith

New User
Josh
That meetup sounds like the ticket. Unfortunately I have previous plans but I will plan for the one in November.

So as far as purchasing a new carpenter's axe are there other good options besides
gransfors or wetterling axes? I have permission from my accountant (wife) to spend $100 for a birthday present. I have my eye on a froe from lee valley and would like to get a hatchet as well. The swedish axes overshoot my budget.

Any other sources?

cpw

New User
Charles
Josh,

I'm speaking from observation rather than experience here. If I were looking for those types of tools and wanted good used ones I would keep checking flea markets and pawn shops, check the papers for estate sales and auctions, troll ebay and craigslist. I use Search Tempest to search several different craigslist sites simultaneously. If you want to go new the first places that come to mind are Lee Valley, Garrett Wade, and Highland Woodworking. Also, it's amazing what you can find on Amazon these days. A lot of dealers have an Amazon presence in addition to their own sites.

When you're in Asheville check out Asheville Hardware to see what they have in stock. They carry both new and used tools.

Also, have you checked WoodZone?
WoodZone
2263 Sunset Boulevard.
West Columbia, SC 29169
P: 803-791-3823
F: 803-233-3767
E: woodmaster@woodzone.com

Hope this helps,
Charles

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Several of our members collect and sell antique tools. Ed Hobbs, Bill Anderson, and James Davis to name a few. Try sending them a private message.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I got my froe at Lehman's. Good price (especially for a 15", many of the lower cost ones are smaller) and very well made. I have a Stubai detail sculpting hatchet and adze that I like a lot, but it is a rough carving tool and not a lumber prep tool, with I think is what you are looking for. I have a larger hatchet that I got on eBay, head only and made the handle. I think the best deals there are the head only items. If they are complete, you are bidding against people who collect. Just make sure they aren't pitted.

jdulaney

New User
John
That meetup sounds like the ticket. Unfortunately I have previous plans but I will plan for the one in November.

So as far as purchasing a new carpenter's axe are there other good options besides
gransfors or wetterling axes? I have permission from my accountant (wife) to spend $100 for a birthday present. I have my eye on a froe from lee valley and would like to get a hatchet as well. The swedish axes overshoot my budget.

Any other sources?

Well, if you don't mind waiting a month or so, I can make you the froe. I wouldn't charge for this except for shipping. You will have to provide your own handle.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have my eye on a froe from lee valley

I missed this little detail before I posted earlier. In my other post, I mentioned that some of the other lower priced ones were smaller (I recommended the Lehman's 15"). The Lee Valley one is 12". When riving, you want a couple of inches of clearance on the handle side so you can hold the handle and you need 3" or more sticking out the other side to beat with your mallet/beetle/maul. So you need to subtract around 5" from blade length to get the maximum board width that you can comfortably do. I say comfortably because you can use a smaller mallet so you don't need so much sticking out but that is counter productive - you would be trying to drive the blade through more wood but with a smaller (and therefore lighter) mallet.

Josh Smith

New User
Josh
Well, if you don't mind waiting a month or so, I can make you the froe. I wouldn't charge for this except for shipping. You will have to provide your own handle.

That is a very generous offer but I wouldn't want impose on you. I am still very early in the process of learning this craft and still unsure of exactly what I need. Thank you for the offer.

jpaup

New User
JP
Josh,

A couple of additional online sites that you may to look at for these types of tools are: http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/ and
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/

While the tools on these sites may be beyond your immediate budget, they offer some excellent examples of quality new tools from various makers.

The tools you have listed will get you started with the process of splitting and rough shaping green wood. The next step in this type of woodworking is to further refine the shaping of the wood using a traditional shaving horse (with drawknives, spoke shaves, etc.) or wood worker's bench (planes, saws, chisels, bit and brace, etc.) What kind of tools you will need depends on what type of projects you plan to build.

Mike Davis had a thread offering a shaving horse class here http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38911. Mike is one of many excellent resources here that combine power tools with traditional forms of wood working. Welcome to the slippery slope.

LewisT

New User
Lewis
Check the One of a Kind antique place off the Hendersonville/Lake Lure exit off I-26. I'm thinking exit 155? LT

Josh Smith

New User
Josh
Josh,

A couple of additional online sites that you may to look at for these types of tools are: http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/ and
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/

While the tools on these sites may be beyond your immediate budget, they offer some excellent examples of quality new tools from various makers.

The tools you have listed will get you started with the process of splitting and rough shaping green wood. The next step in this type of woodworking is to further refine the shaping of the wood using a traditional shaving horse (with drawknives, spoke shaves, etc.) or wood worker's bench (planes, saws, chisels, bit and brace, etc.) What kind of tools you will need depends on what type of projects you plan to build.

Mike Davis had a thread offering a shaving horse class here http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38911. Mike is one of many excellent resources here that combine power tools with traditional forms of wood working. Welcome to the slippery slope.

I plan on trying to make several of the projects in Roy Underhill's first book. A pm from another user on this forum led me to Ron Campbell here in Columbia. Just got back from meeting him and have acquired a few tools that should get me started. He is a member of the Mid-West Tool Collectors and will be in Raleigh this weekend.

reprosser

New User
Rick
FYI, I went to check this store out today and they are gone. closed up shop and no signs indicating that they moved.

Sadly, they just closed down the store. They plan to continue the internet site I think.

The other woodworking place in Columbia is Mann Tool, but I don't think they would have what you are looking for. (WoodZone would not have had it either.) Maybe they could order something.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I plan on trying to make several of the projects in Roy Underhill's first book. A pm from another user on this forum led me to Ron Campbell here in Columbia. Just got back from meeting him and have acquired a few tools that should get me started. He is a member of the Mid-West Tool Collectors and will be in Raleigh this weekend.

Ron is a good guy. What did you think of his little collection of rusty tools? :swoon:

Josh Smith

New User
Josh
Josh is Ron Campbell a tool dealer? Can others buy from him? Care to tell us what all you got? Lt

He is a member of the Mid-West Tool Collectors Association and sells at their meetings. Real nice guy. His specialty is hand planes which he repairs and fixes up. I got an axe, 2 hatchets and 2 augers. I ordered this book by Leonard Lee and that should help me get them nice and sharp. Now I just need to practice and get proficient with these tools. I am going to keep saving and hopefully get a froe and foot adz in a few months. Here are some pics.

DSC_9903.jpg

DSC_9901.jpg

DSC_9900.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS