Where to Buy Used Clamps

dgrano

New User
Dan
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting to the forum but I've benefitted a lot from reading it. I am just getting started and building out my shop, and I was wondering if any of you had recommendations on places to shop for used and/or vintage clamps. I have a decent handful of pipe clamps but really need bar clamps. I try to keep an eye on Craigslist and FB Marketplace but they have been hit or miss for me and I haven't found too many significant discounts.

Are there any antique markets or flea markets that are reliable places to try? I live in the Charlotte area but am willing to drive. Thanks so much!

- Dan

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
If you already have pipe clamps, why do you need bar clamps?

If you're talking about F clamps, I've been pretty happy with the Harbor Freights.

I've also several HF aluminum bar clamps. But they need work: filing the slider so it doesn't bind, and I insert a section of hardwood in the channel to stiffen.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Used clamps are not easy to find, I've had luck at estate sales and such, but for the most part, people don't part with clamps. Keep an eye on Klingspor and Woodcraft this month for black Friday and holiday sales, I got a great deal on clamps at Woodcraft 2 years ago, had a box of clamps (I think it was like two 24" and two 48" or something like that) for close to 50% regular price (if memory services me right, I just know it was such a good deal I bought 2 boxes)

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
... If you're talking about F clamps, I've been pretty happy with the Harbor Freights.

I've also several HF aluminum bar clamps. But they need work: filing the slider so it doesn't bind, and I insert a section of hardwood in the channel to stiffen.

I too have a variety of HF bar clamps, likely at least 20 of them in 6-30" sizes (as well as other brands) - these are very serviceable and of course much light than pipe clamps for smaller items. For the price (on sale) if I drive one to failure (happened once) I don't fret about it.

I have to disagree with Bob on the HF Al bar (channel) clamps. These have NOT proven themselves in my shop (primarily slippage of the head from the notches in the Al channel), and have been banished and destroyed. These are not worth the trouble needed to make them serviceable - at least in my book. I have several orange versions (Pony?) that are GREAT, so I love this style of clamp (reasonably stiff and relatively light); my experience with the HF version is not great.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Pipe clamps are good for some things and I have several sets of Bessey "pony" pipe clamps that I got at Lowe's. The jaws are only 1.75" inches tall above the pipes and that can be a drawback. The Bessey bar clamps are 3.5" tall above the bar.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
My experience of used clamps for sale, is people sell them fro close to retail, so not worth it really. C-clamps I have gotten good pricing, but F-clamps and Jorgenson's too close to retail.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
My experience with HF clamps is similar to @Rwe2156, except I used pine to fill my aluminum clamps, and glued wood and/or cork rubber, to the clamping surfaces

dgrano

New User
Dan
If you already have pipe clamps, why do you need bar clamps?

If you're talking about F clamps, I've been pretty happy with the Harbor Freights.

I certainly need F clamps, and would like to get some aluminum bar clamps (like the ones you're describing) to have lighter clamps for setting up since I work by myself. Appreciate all of the helpful feedback, everyone!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I bought a set of 4 24" Bessey parallel clamps about 20 years ago. I thought they were very expensive then and have always tried to pick them up used since. You can never find any for sale when you're looking for them and they pop up on CL or estate sales when you're not. You have to be patient and keep looking. If you see them for sale at a decent price, buy them now. Don't hesitate or they'll be gone.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Are you buying used clamps to get a higher quality american made clamp or just to get cheaper clamps?

I buy used or nos clamps on ebay. I'm willing to pay modern retail usually. Modern retail prices are artificially low, propped up by 3rd world slave labor.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've had luck at estate sales
I'll second estate sales. If you're not in a hurry you can get some good tools at these, usually for much less than retail. I've gotten C-clamps, bar clamps and other varieties. If you get the EstateSales.NET app on your phone it will show you all the upcoming sales in your area, with directions, pictures, etc.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
When I first started needing clamps back in the 1970s, I'd go to industrial auctions in search of clamps and was astonished at the prices. I was told by seasoned woodworkers that good clamps always have sold at a higher percentage of retail price than other things because of the predictable utility and durability of good bar clamps. While the numbers have changed over the decades, the percentages pretty much have remained the same until maybe the last few years. The makers of the good clamps have gone away so what was made is now all there is. That makes for some pretty stiff competition for those that need good clamps such as Jorgensen 7200 series or Hargrave 640s.

1  clamps - 1.jpg

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
When I first started needing clamps back in the 1970s, I'd go to industrial auctions in search of clamps and was astonished at the prices. I was told by seasoned woodworkers that good clamps always have sold at a higher percentage of retail price than other things because of the predictable utility and durability of good bar clamps. While the numbers have changed over the decades, the percentages pretty much have remained the same until maybe the last few years. The makers of the good clamps have gone away so what was made is now all there is. That makes for some pretty stiff competition for those that need good clamps such as Jorgensen 7200 series or Hargrave 640s.

View attachment 197570
Found a hargrave and a hartford clamp in a garbage pile today. The hartford was a 6' bar clamp until a skid steer ran over it. Now it's a 4' bar clamp.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS