Where to buy "real" beadboard for a porch ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Looking for some "real" beadboard to finish off the ceiling of a newly screened in porch (not the plywood sheets that are at the BORG), thinking maybe cypress, SYP, oak or other suitable lumber.

Any local sawyers that I should try calling on?

Thanks

cptully

New User
Chris
David,

I wish I could help...:no: I have some in my bathroom, from 1925 when the house was built and no its not coming out anytime soon - we love it...:icon_cheers

I've not had to look for it myself but I'd start with Capital City Lumber, and the advertisers that so kindly sponsor our site!

Chris

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Almost any wood supplier should have it. Lowe's and Home Depot should have some. It is two pieces together with a tongue on one side and a groove on the other with a bead in the middle and on the tongue side. I think they have two thicknesses as well. If you are trying to match what is there it may be more problematic than if starting from scratch.

Good Luck in your search.
James

saw4you

New User
Jack
I can cut cypress and make a true beadboard look for you. The cypress is kiln dried and clear 6" wide for 1.95 b/f

Jack

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Lowes and HD stock it in SYP. If you are going to paint ceiling, prime and first coat boards before installation. This way if it opens up any, there is already paint there to cover cracks. Been there, done that.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I can't echo Bruce's point strongly enough.

My entire home is bead board and the "people" I bought it from slapped on latex over everything.

They did it in the summer and now every winter I have a home full of open joints and torn paint. :frown3qg:

Check out this old house website for a Tom Silva article on painting/gaps in bead board.

Its so simple to do up front and no fun at all on after the fact :)

Were it me (and I guess I am me :) ), I'd look at milk paint or stain rather than paint. If that works for you.

But, sounds like you got a great supplier lined up. Enjoy!

Jim

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
Saw4you has some purty stuff. To have it milled and shaped by same man....can't beat that!:icon_cheers Don't get more "Real" then that. Grown,cut milled and shaped all in North Carolina!

JJD

New User
John
Check North Carolina Hardwood Store in Gibsonville (+/- 20 miles east of Greensboro).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors