Where to Buy Jewelry Box Hinges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
I am building a few boxes for friends. I went Rockler for the hardware. But, they are so expensive. I hope friends here have info on where to buy the solid brass hinges for a reasonalbe price.

Thanks in advance.

Qui

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I'm not sure what "reasonable" is (I always think things should be cheaper) but there are a couple of other stores to try. Klingspor's Woodworking Shop and WoodCraft come to mind right away. They have both brick n mortar stores as well as internet. Lee Valley has quite a selection. They just sent out a catalog of nothing but hinges and knobs. http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3&p=41241
I'd also ask some of the folks here that make boxes, like DaveO... although he'll probably see this thread anyway.

Ray

sapwood

New User
Roger
Qui,

Woodworker Supply in Graham also has a large selection of hardware. Of course, I doubt if it's cheaper than anyone else :cool: The Brusso stuff ain't cheap!

You may also want to consider barrel hinges. They are much cheaper and come in several sizes. Also they don't require mortising, but you do have to chamfer back of lid and box to allow opening.

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Solid brass hinges aren't going to be found cheaply. I have used the rolled brass hinges from Woodcraft, they work, they're not as nice as a Brusso (solid brass) hinge, but they work. I'll second what Roger said about the barrel hinges. They have become my favorite hinge for small box work, and the required chamfer on the back of the box acts as a stop to keep the lid open. Another idea is kerf barbed hinges. You need a special mini saw blade to install them, but if you are doing boxes often it's a good investment. They fit into a slot cut by the saw and have barbs that keep them from pulling out, only the hinge barrel is visible. You can find them at WC also.
HTH, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS