Where to buy decent cabinet plywood near the Sandhills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Harris

New User
John
I'm new guy here looking to purchase decent cabinet grade plywood. I've been out of the woodworking business for 15 years and used to get baltic birch that was decent but can't find it at my local (Southern Pines) retailers. All they have is birch with a veneer that is thin as paper. I live in the Sandhills, hour south of Raleigh. Where can I go to get decent plywood?

Thanks,
John

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Seems you might have to take a Raleigh road trip. Wurth Group just off the 440 belt line on Poole road will have what you need.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Don't know if the Hardwood Store of NC in Gibsonville is any closer but I'm sure they would have what you want as well. Check their sidebar ad for all info on them.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
If Raleigh or Gibsonville is too far, you may want to try a sheet of Columbia Forest Products, Purebond ply from the Orange BORG (HD). (Made right here in N.C..)

I have used it pretty consistently over the last five years and been very happy with it. (Much better than the imported dtuff at Lowes!) Minimal voids and always stays pretty flat. (The veneer is pretty thin though and only available in Birch and Red Oak.)

Wayne

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I've bought BB from the Raleighwood Wurth in the past and they usually have a large supply of 1/2 and 3/4 equivalent in the 50"x50" sheets. If you need to break it down for transport they have an extension cord near their loading dock you can use to power a saw. They have a large panel saw there, but the last time I was there a year ago and inquired they wouldn't use it to break down sheet goods, even for a fee. I'm not sure why as they wouldn't say.

If you're going to make a drive to Raleighwood for the BB I'd suggest giving Mike and the guys at Anchor Hardwoods (a site sponsor who gives a NCWW discount) a call. I inquired about some there a while back and they stock it and it was less per sheet than Wurth's current pricing. The NCWW discount doesn't apply to sheet goods but since the prices I was given were lower than I'd been paying that wasn't a problem. They also have some amazing stuff to look at in their store and are also open on Saturday, unlike Wurth who stopped opening on Saturday a while ago.

HTH,
Brian.

John Harris

New User
John
Looks like I will have to tuck up to Raleigh on a Saturday and check out Anchor Hardwoods or wait till I'm off during the week and pay a visit to Wurth.

Thanks for the info!

CMCCANN

New User
Chris
Wurth isn't a great browsing place (more of a warehouse), but they have everything they offer listed on their website and were really helpful on the phone. Just bought some Ultra Light MDF for some painted built-ins and the guy on the phone was very helpful.

batk30msu

New User
brent
If Raleigh or Gibsonville is too far, you may want to try a sheet of Columbia Forest Products, Purebond ply from the Orange BORG (HD). (Made right here in N.C..)

I have used it pretty consistently over the last five years and been very happy with it. (Much better than the imported dtuff at Lowes!) Minimal voids and always stays pretty flat. (The veneer is pretty thin though and only available in Birch and Red Oak.)

Wayne

Wayne,

If you go to the contractors booth at HD you can order about 10-15 different species of their hardwood plys. No extra charge, no minimum. (it is still pretty thin though, easy to sand through)

zapdafish

New User
Steve
the hardwoodstore in Gibsonville delivers to the Raleigh area but I don't know if their delivery area would extend to where you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS