Where to buy: 1/2" or 3/4" Acrylic

wwian

New User
Ian Worthington
Hey Folks!

In researching zero clearance inserts for my new table saw, I came across a video using acrylic for the insert [
].

However, now I can't seem to find any acrylic other than 1/8" or 1/4". Do you folks know any stores where I can get 1/2" or 3/4" acrylic? I've called a few local glass/ acrylic shops; they only sell 1/2 sheets for $300-400.

Thanks for any wisdoms!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Or you could buy some of the phenolic that one of our members is selling. It is exactly what most zci are made of

wwian

New User
Ian Worthington
Or you could buy some of the phenolic that one of our members is selling. It is exactly what most zci are made of
Unfortunately I missed the cut off date. I wasn’t anticipating getting a new sawl. So I will have to wait for the hopefully third round of sales.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What brand (model) of table saw did you get and what are the dimensions of your proposed insert (l x w x thickness)?
For example my UHMW zero clearance is 13.5" l x 3.75" w x 3/8" t. I bought it prefabricated for my Bosch 4000 table saw from Peachtree and they may also have the correct size for your new saw.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Ian,

There's no advantage of using acrylic. IMO when they get scratched up they probably won't look to good anyway.

I make them out of solid wood.

I make several at a time so I have fresh ones when I need them, and for various widths of dados.

Check out Mattias Wandel on YouTube he has a good video on making ZCI's from wood.

dwminnich

New User
Dave
For acrylic and any other plastics, my first stop was always Golden Rule Plastics in Haw River. I haven't found a good spot in the mountains yet, to my dismay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingRon

Ron
Speaking of MDF. I've got some thicker (3/4) stuff but it's a little too thick for the places I need inserts. Will it go through the planer OK? I guess it's easy enough to try once I get all the junk out of the way (my shop is still full of left over construction supplies).

I'll have to try Haw River plastics. I've not had a good supplier since I left the DC Area. I've been ordering small quantities off Amazon.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I do indeed still have quite a bit of phenolic material on hand. The price for 1/2" thick material is $5.00 per square foot. As I've posted before, I have sheets from 5'x5' down to less than a foot square. I will load a small quantity of the 1/2 and 3/4" sheets, and smaller cutoffs to bring to the picnic, as well as an assortment of inserts I have on hand. I do have maybe 8 insert blanks that are an unknown. Can be sanded or cut to your specks.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I do indeed still have quite a bit of phenolic material on hand. The price for 1/2" thick material is $5.00 per square foot. As I've posted before, I have sheets from 5'x5' down to less than a foot square. I will load a small quantity of the 1/2 and 3/4" sheets, and smaller cutoffs to bring to the picnic, as well as an assortment of inserts I have on hand. I do have maybe 8 insert blanks that are an unknown. Can be sanded or cut to your specks.
As I said before, I'll be glad to buy some random cutoffs.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Here, in the Charlotte area we have Piedmont Plastics as a good source and they have a location in Raleigh too, but I would avoid Acrylics because they can shatter with razor edges flying everywhere. Corian, Lexan, Phenolic, Baltic Birch, and MDF are all good for making jigs and ZCI and they don't shatter. If you want clear, go with clear Lexan. It also doesn't scratch as easily as Acrylic either, and they make bullet proof windows from thick pieces of it.

Charley

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors