where / how best to sell tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
been having trouble posting, so if there's a duplicate of this...apologies...

I inherited some shop tools from father and am looking at best way to sell, as I need the space. Other than here, how do ebay and craigslist stack up. Or are there better sites? also, how secure and safe is paypal? If I were to accept a check, I'd prefer to wait till bank clears it. How do others do this? ..altho cash is always the prefered medium ......any help appreciated.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
eBay is good if the item is small and easily shipped. For easily shipped items, I expect to get more money on eBay just because you can reach more people. For heavy items, I always use craigslist. I have no hesitation with accepting payment from Paypal when using eBay. Craigslist is cash only. Accepting a check comes with a lot of risk (unless you wait for it to clear, which doesn't work so well on craigslist).

If the item is in decent condition, I expect to get about 50% of retail cost on craigslist. If it is really old or needs some work, then I expect even less than 50% or retail.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I quit using Ebay when they made it PaypPal only and changed the feedback system. Lots of people still use it. I would, as it gets lots of views, but the people who have trouble (especially sellers) seem to be just crazed and I don't need that. I use this forum and others like it plus CL to sell. Cash unless I've dealt with you before. If I have to ship then payment is by USPS Money Order.

Post them up here, but if you are looking for top dollar then you might expect it to be a slow sell.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
USPS money order is pretty safe. Ship tools same day you receive money order. The buyer has to trust you on this one.

Paypal means you pay the fee, but buyer will have more confidence, and you will know they have paid.

I have bought using both, but have not sold anything over the net.

Go

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
USPS money order is pretty safe. Ship tools same day you receive money order. The buyer has to trust you on this one.

Paypal means you pay the fee, but buyer will have more confidence, and you will know they have paid.

I have bought using both, but have not sold anything over the net.

Go

Be careful with the USPS money orders, or any certified checks, they are fakeable just like a check is. Always cash the money order or check first before shipping. Checks I always take to bank they are drawn off to cash to verify that the check is legit and get the cash in my hands. I'm seeing more and more in real estate that funds be wired as the only way they will accept money.

eBay will protect buyer over seller, all buyer has to say is "you shipped wrong item" or "it didn't work" and eBay will allow them to file a complaint against seller, and eBay will provide shipping label for buyer to send back to seller at seller's expense, and refund full purchase price back to buyer. I know this from experience and is why I no longer sell on eBay. But then again on Craigslist you may get robbed, stabbed, shot, chopped into little pieces... Not sure there is safe way to sell anymore.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I learned in grade school that the kid that did his homework always got the best grades. The same is true in sales, the more homework you do, the better the result.
Good disclosure about the tool and condition will get you good buyers. Good photographs are a must because buyers need confidence to respond. Ads with vague photographs and descriptions get ignored.

Do some research on what tools like yours don't sell for. That will go a long way in determining what price is appropriate.

Craigs list is easier than eBay on a multitude of levels.

Tool buyers in general are a different bunch than iPad buyers.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
There are over 80 million ads placed every month on Craigslist that you never hear about. Just don't wear a Rolex when you meet the buyer.:wsmile:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
There are over 80 million ads placed every month on Craigslist that you never hear about. Just don't wear a Rolex when you meet the buyer.:wsmile:

I don't know guys... I wear my hatchet on my side most everywhere I go and I ain't had a problem yet. Hatchets seem to be more acceptable to wear on your side whereas knives and guns are not, so go and figure that one out.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Even cashing a MO is not confirmation that it is good. A local business owner did this on a rent deposit & advance of 1 year's rent. The tenant asked for some money back to do 'unexpected improvements'. 2 days later the bank informed him the MO was counterfeit. Needless to say the tenants were long gone.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS