Where does you favorite tool rank?

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Anytime I consider a major tool purchase, I ask myself several questions “do I really need this or just want it to make the current project easier?” How much will I use it after this project is over? Am I buying too big or too fancy of a tool/machine and not use many of the features?

Considering buying a lathe, looked at used, big ones, small ones, new ones, old ones, cheap ones expensive ones, etc. The same thing everyone probably goes through when a decision of over $500.00 bucks is on the table. I am in the buy once cry once camp, on tools I think I will use regularly.

My thought process when inventorying my current woodworking toys in order of importance.

• Table saw
  • Miter saw
  • Band saw
  • Planer
  • Jointer
  • Router
  • Drum Sander
  • Drill Press
  • Hand Planes
  • Cordless tools drills jig saw etc.
I have no idea where a wood lathe would fit in this list, never had one, used one once in high school shop class. If you own a lathe and are not a “daily turner” where would your lathe rank it in order of importance and frequency of use? Would it even make your top 10 list?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I am about with you. I also have a disk sander and spindle sander I use quite a bit. Only used a lathe once in High School.
Another way to rank them is what you do without them? Well, we did build very fine furniture for 1000 years or so without power tools. I think a lathe was one of the earliest complex tools. What it really comes down to, is what functions you need to do. If you turn bowls or make stair spindles, then a band saw and lathe, though I guess a handsaw and spokeshave would suffice. I am thinking turning is about the only thing you have to have a complex machine for.

How big? For woodworking, go big or go home.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
My list only has minor differences from yours and I'd get a different orders ranking by importance, frequency of use, or fun to use. Or woodworking, mechanic or general use. Trying to combine all three weighted towards frequency of use my list is:

1. Cordless impact drivers, screw drivers and drills.
2. Drill press.
3. Miter saw.
4. Table saw.
5. Hand Planes.
6. Random orbit sander.
7. Planer
8. Lathe
9. Router
10. Mortiser

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would put my lathe at number 4. Top tool would be my bandsaw, I use it more than any other tool
Back to the lathe. It is high on the list because it can do what no other tool can, plus it is very enjoyable to use. I use it in short spurts, mostly making quick gifts for visiting family or friends

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
The most important equipment is my drawing table & drafting tools. I was a draftsman for many years. When I get through designing and drawing the project is built. Now all I have to do is cut wood.

Pop

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
My list looks like this:

1. Cordless impact drivers, screw drivers and drills.
1. Drill press.
1. Miter saw.
1. Table saw.
1. Random orbit sander.
1. Planer
1. Router
2. Lathe
3. Hand Planes.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
In making Windsor chairs the lathe would be the #1 machine. Everything else could be done with draw knife, spoke shave, inshave or scorp , brace and bits, and hand planes. Oh, and a bow saw to cut out the seat shape. If you really do not care for the fancy turned legs you could shape simple legs with a draw knife . I like having the lathe for the turnings and do all my undercarriage parts on the lathe. In this case all the tools are of equal importance to me.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
1. scroll saw
2. scroll saw
3. scroll saw
4. lathe
5. table saw
6. jointer
7. planer
8. miter saw
9. band saw
10. the other band saw
11. drill presses
12. all the other sanders, power tools, hand tools, etc.
13. radio
14. wood stove
15. should have had the DC right there by the planer
There are days I'll use nearly every machine in the shop, and there are days I may use just the scroll saw or the lathe.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The problem with wood lathe ownership and use is the required support system and practice time required. Wood turning is almost its own entity. For furniture components you'll need a table saw, jointer and planer to produce good square billet stock. With most other woodworking machinery, a few blades and maybe table accessories and you're good. There are companies that specialize in wood lathe accessories and tooling. That should tell you something about what potentially lies ahead.
I encourage you to go for it. Woodturning can be fun with the one-off gifts and what not. Turning similar table legs takes a bit of practice and can be stressful at first.

Billm0066

Bill
User
Buy a used one. If it’s not for you you can sell it for what you paid for it. Personally I love my lathe. I go through periods of using it a lot to not at all. It’s awesome to have when you need it.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
It's fun to see all the variety in the lists. It depends a lot on what you are into. I just got into turning a little over a year ago. It is just like owning a boat, never ending place to spend money. I have spent at least $100 per month on lathe tools, sharpening jigs, gadgets, etc. for my lathe for the past 14 months. I am turning at least every other day, so it gets a lot of use. I do love it. I am an engineer by day and do design work to the nth detail on a daily basis. I like the lathe because I can just get on there with very little planning and be creative on the fly. Plus, I've never spent a cent for material. Especially for bowls, there is about an endless supply of free wood. I have had a Shopbot CNC for about 12 years now and use it a lot. I sold my scroll saw a few years after buying the CNC. The only thing my bandsaw is used for is rounding up bowl blanks.

1. Table saw
2. Handheld drill/driver
3. Jointer
4. Radial arm saw
5. Lathe
6. CNC
7. Tormek grinder
8. Shaper
9. Planer
10. Compound sliding miter saw
11. Drill press

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
New machine types will bring new capabilities to expand the scope of woodworking projects. Sometimes turned components are a key function to a pleasing end result.
As to favorite tools (floor machines), the project at hand dictates what's needed. On the below example, the 'favorite' tools would be the mortiser and tenoner. Without them, I wouldn't have attempted something on this level. Square legs would have made these little tables look like folding TV tray tables from Walmart.

1 lathe work - 1.jpg 1 lathe work - 2.jpg

To put things into perspective, the tops were made from grandparent's large walnut family Sunday dinner table that had been in use since before WWII. The tables went to the grandchildren.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Thanks.
Turning furniture legs and other components really isn't all that difficult once the sharpening and cutting processes become familiar.
Long skinny spindles need a mid steady rest. A simple wooden one works. That's what Steve Jones uses in some of his videos.
The legs need to be similar with the bumps and grooves all about the same height and proportion.
Perfect duplication isn't necessary for a good look.
Mass produced spindles look like they are just that - mass produced. Even a 60 year old Mattison automatic lathe can produce a spindle in six to ten seconds but the spindle has to be designed to fit the limits of the machine. No subtle design proportions.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
If you mean the tooI I enjoy using the most, then my lathe would be #1. If you mean the tool that is used most frequently, my Festool Kapex miter saw. If I would rank all my tools, then #1 would be a tie between the lathe and miter saw. then; table saw, band saw, drill press, planer, jointer, stationary drum sander, misc. hand tools and hand power tools.

Gripbd

BD
User
As some of the previous posters have said, it depends on how you define “favorite.” I think that turning bowls is the most enjoyable thing that I do in the shop. On the other hand, I can’t use the term “enjoyable “ to describe turning 200+ spindles with a duplicator. I sold my duplicator to prevent me any more of those jobs.
I use the table saw the most often and I think that I can do more things on the table saw that I can’t do on any other tool that I own, than would apply to other tools.
I really appreciate my track saw because it makes it so much easier to accurately break down sheets of plywood.
The tool that really surprised me how much I like it is my vacuum pump. I got it to veneer my kitchen cabinets when I was building them, and ordered a latching foot valve because I thought that it might be nice to have. Being able to use both hands to place a jig and clamp it, and,if necessary, easily unclamping it and reclamping it, is a joy. Trying to hold a jig and the work piece in place with one hand and applying a bar clamp with the other hand is usually frustrating.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
  1. Table saw
  2. Handheld drill/driver
  3. Jointer
  4. Planer
  5. Dust Collector (love to watch the chips get sucked up)
  6. Sander (Belt/circular all in one)
  7. Bandsaw
  8. Drill press
  9. Lathe
  10. Compound sliding miter saw

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Bob, great looking tables, you took a heirloom to make heirlooms. The craftsmanship make them a piece to cherish and hang onto, but the wood history make them priceless.

you're right about turning having its own support system, but furniture had its own too, Table saw, planer, jointer... Both can start from a cut down tree to a work of art, just different magic inbetween.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I don't know that I could categorize them consecutively as favorites. I have tools I like to use, tools I don't like to use, ones I'm surprised I use so much, and tools I hardly ever use anymore.

Enjoy using:
Table saw
Jointer-planer
Drill press
Band saw

Don't enjoy using:
Routers
Shaper

Have become indispensable:
Track saw - I bought it to cut up a bunch of OSB into varying widths. Shoulda done it years ago.
Sliding miter saw - I went from a 10" chop saw to a 12" slider. What a difference.

Gathering dust:
Biscuit joiner
Bench top mortiser

Don't have:
Lathe - I make square things

New addition I haven't used yet:
Domino DF500 - Dang this looks easy to use.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS