Where do you get your wood from in Greenville

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncreefer

New User
Kevin
I've been using pine to make some things around the house, but I wanted to try and use some other types of wood (i.e. oak). I've been purchasing wood from Lowes since that is what is readily available to me. I do not have a planer as of now, so I'm guessing that my options are extremely limited in the Greenville/Washington area. I'm trying to convince my wife to buy me a planer for some present. I'm using the you'll get better furniture if I have a planner. Does anyone have a good other suggestion in the meantime?

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
You might want to consider using "But honey, think how much money I'll save by not having to buy finished lumber." Don't tell her yet that you will need a jointer also.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Unfortunately there aren't many options in Greenville/Washington - especially for kiln dried wood.
On the other hand, if you want to try making projects with curved panels, both Lowes and HD carry pre-bent wood (but not on purpose, I don't think).:gar-La;

Mail order is the way to go unless you're willing to travel quite a bit.

Ernie

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Kevin,

I was going to recommend a place in Wilmington, but it looks like you're about an hour closer to Raleigh from there. If you had a couple of projects lined up, or a big project and you knew how much wood you needed, you could look for deals from people here, get a shopping list, and come up one day and get what you needed. :icon_thum

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I've been using pine to make some things around the house, but I wanted to try and use some other types of wood (i.e. oak). I've been purchasing wood from Lowes since that is what is readily available to me. I do not have a planer as of now, so I'm guessing that my options are extremely limited in the Greenville/Washington area. I'm trying to convince my wife to buy me a planer for some present. I'm using the you'll get better furniture if I have a planner. Does anyone have a good other suggestion in the meantime?

Kevin, please forgive my "shameless commerce" response, but compared with what you pay at the BORG, it would be worth your while to drive to Raleigh and buy your oak from me. With your NCWW discount, for Kiln Dried oak you'll be paying about 60% less per board foot than what Lowes and Home Depot charges.

ncreefer

New User
Kevin
Tarheel, I'm trying that explanation as well. I think she is starting to get it now, especially after her father was telling her how much he can get green oak for up in NJ compared to the BORG.

Ernie, I've spent quite a bit of time searching for the straightest boards I can find at Lowes. I built a bookcase and went through the entire section of 1 X 12 to find 3 "straight" boards. It was even worse when I attempted making wainscot.

SCsmith, do you have a price list you can send my way?

Sully

New User
jay
If you get a planer there are lots of places to get rough sawn lumber around here. You can get by without a jointer if you build a sled for the planer. Our sawyer (Kevin Everett) keeps a variety of hardwoods in stock. It is air-dried.

We also have some rough sawn lumber occassionally for sell. And we can provide surface planing for a fee. Right now we have some kiln dried 4/4 red oak available. Located in Bath, NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors