where can I find the plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimH

Jim
Corporate Member
I was at WWIA today and really like the stands used for the lathes. Where can I find the plans to make one of these?
Thanks in advance!

Jim

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim, I made those about two or three years ago and unfortunately I used my standard practice of never writing anything down. They were made from 2 x 8 lumber and I just cut and clamped a few scraps together until it looked and felt right. I really do need to measure and get somebody to do a real drawing. I will move this onto my radar screen

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Phil,

If I might make a suggestion, it may be enough to upload some photos from several angles plus a few critical measurements (height, width, depth, angle?). For many of us that would be enough info to recreate a piece from a photo...and perhaps one of our CAD users might even be willing to draw it up (no promises as I don't have the time, but another member may).

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
PM sent. I made a SketchUp drawing of the stands some time ago and will gladly share it w/ anyone. If anyone knows how to convert the SketchUp plan into PDF format, it probably should be posted to the site.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Although I don't need a lathe stand with all those features - yet - I do need to put my WWer's bench to more appropriate use. I want to adapt my spare basement room into a 'neander shop' and I need to get all the power tools there relocated. Since I usually have a few scraps of 2x8 or other around most of the time, maybe it's time to do just that. Only thing is I had shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago for bone spurs, so like a lot of items on my wannado and honeydo list, it'll have to wait. But it's good to know where to go when I'm able.
Hope all went well at WWIA today. From yesterday's report there will probably be some tired WWers hitting the pillows tonight. Good job, guys.

BWSmith

New User
BW
All good stuff above.Another avenue,if you like researching neat stuff..........There's a cpl "places" on the net that have archival(think this is the correct term),PDF files for old Popular Science,Popular Mechanics magazines.Love reading the early 1900's myself.Anyway there's some pretty nice lathe benches in there.Good luck with your bench,make it plenty stout.

JimH

Jim
Corporate Member
Thanks to Bill Clemmons, got the Sketchup. Thanks to all for the thoughts and ideas.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is a picture of it in the design phase If I remember correctly, the tilt angle was 15 degrees
IMG_0442.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
a note to the crew for the next assembly (Extravaganza or ???) - put the stretcher low (like it is in Phil's picture)

We had to pull it completely apart to lower the lathe for a budding turner rather than simply lowering the board with the brackets that the lathe is mounted to.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Bill. I did say if I remember correctly, which of course I almost never do.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
PM sent. I made a SketchUp drawing of the stands some time ago and will gladly share it w/ anyone. If anyone knows how to convert the SketchUp plan into PDF format, it probably should be posted to the site.

It's easier to download your SketchUp file directly to NCWW. Menu bar: "Downloads/add new file". Members can get it directly into their SU and play with the dimensions and layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS