Where can I buy 1/4 and 1/2 inch wood?

Charles-H

New User
Charles
I've been working with my scrollsaw, I'm new to it and smaller projects call for smaller wood. It makes sense. But I can't buy anything wider than 6 inches at lowes or home depot, it's only hardwoods, I dont have a planer and dont intend to buy one. I'm new to this and I've just got no idea where to go. I live in the Charlotte area. I appreciate any help and I'm sorry if this isnt the right section to post this in.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
You can get a variety of thin sheets of a number of species from domestic to exotics at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (closest store to you is in Hickory) or you can order what you want online from Richards Craft Woods in Clemmons and have it shipped. Here is a link to his website where you will find his entire line of products.

RickR

Rick
Senior User
www.woodcraft.com has has a brick-and-mortar store in Matthews which is just inside the beltway on the south-east side. They have both baltic birch and an assortment of solid hardwoods in thin dimension but you will be pressed to find much solid wood wider than 6 inches. For the time being the store is closed to foot traffic but you can order via email and pick it up at the store if you do not want to wait or pay for shipping. See their website for details.

Last edited:

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you are just learning and you don't want to save your money until you get to the point that you want to give/sell your makings then buy 1/4 plywood from the BORG's. It is sanded pine plywood and it won't break the bank while you learn.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Richard's Craft Woods always has a booth at the Klingspore Extravaganza, and sells several thicknesses of domestic woods. I'm certain that Klingspore could put you in touch with him. He sells some beautiful pieces of wood in 1/4" and up thicknesses.

Charley

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I should have mentioned in my post above that the thin stock carried in the Klingspor's Woodworking Shops are supplied by Richards Craft Woods and Cormark International, both NC companies.

ste6168

New User
Mike
I have bought from this guy on eBay several times, prices are typically very good and quality is good. He has a large inventory, so sometimes can be kind of a pain finding what you are looking for, though.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just bought 6 pieces 10-11" wide by 1/4" thick from Richard's. Cherry, Walnut and Sycamore. Shipping was very reasonable. Will let you know how it turns out. I have a couple of scroll saw projects to do myself.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Contact Richard on his website (richardscraftwood.com). He's given me a tour of his operation before and may be open to it again. Plus you'll be able to see what he has in stock and take it home with you.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS