When did paint get so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
I need to paint a few things and when i got the old can out it looked horrible so I thought I'd just run over to Sherwin Williams and pick up a gallon. I asked for a recommendation to paint a small bench, a couple of wood rocking chairs and a shed door. He said, with a big smile, the really good stuff is what you need and then with a frown he said you could just go with house paint. 80 bucks for the good stuff and 60 for house paint! When did that happen? I know it's been awhile since I had to buy a gallon of paint but 80 dollars a gallon! I guess it's great quality and expensive. I'm looking for reasonable quality and reasonable price. White, semi gloss, probably latex - any recommendations? The bench and chairs will be on a covered porch and I will be using a brush.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I need to paint a few things and when i got the old can out it looked horrible so I thought I'd just run over to Sherwin Williams and pick up a gallon. I asked for a recommendation to paint a small bench, a couple of wood rocking chairs and a shed door. He said, with a big smile, the really good stuff is what you need and then with a frown he said you could just go with house paint. 80 bucks for the good stuff and 60 for house paint! When did that happen? I know it's been awhile since I had to buy a gallon of paint but 80 dollars a gallon! I guess it's great quality and expensive. I'm looking for reasonable quality and reasonable price. White, semi gloss, probably latex - any recommendations? The bench and chairs will be on a covered porch and I will be using a brush.

Unless you have a coupon or are a contractor, SW prices are crazy. They regularly run 30 to 40% off coupons, thats the only time I buy from them, unless I can buy under a contractors account. BORG prices aren't much better.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The short answer to your question is... When they took the lead out. It has been steadily increasing since then.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Valspar exterior at Lowe's is about $40/gal. It is very good paint when using two full coats. Not cheap,but I have found it every bit as durable as SW at about 1/2 the $$.

Go

Last edited:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I also use the Valspar,from Lowe’s. They just had a $10 rebate per gallon!

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
have you talked to the folks at Wurth about what options they have? I buy some products from them often for less than SW and they are higher quality.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The limited areas of my house exterior that are painted were painted with a mid-grade SW paint in 2013 right before we bought it. I know because they left part of a gallon. The largest surface is two sides of clapboard siding on the dining room. It was peeling badly in spots this spring so I sanded to bare wood, primed, and painted with the best Behr exterior paint, tinted to match the SW color. It was $50 for the gallon. In part of the area, I put a coat of the SW paint on first to use it up. The Behr was thicker and seemed stickier. We'll see how it holds up.

I believe Consumer Reports rates Behr exterior paint higher than Lowe's and SW. I like my local SW store, it is well stocked with good items, but I hate their prices. Most SW paint is at least OK but it is heavily tilted to what contractors want. The interior primer, for instance, goes on easily and is easily sanded. But if you use it on softwood, as the contractor that built my former house did, all the knots bleed through. I tried to get him to use Kilz and he said the painting contractor wanted some huge premium. So I had to deal with the bleed through later. I should have just paid the premium. On drywall it is fine but on wood it is not. Kilz total one goes on almost as easily, doesn't sand well at all, but hides knots. My latest project got a no-bleed spray primer from Hood Industries under Resisthane. That is expensive too but is really durable.

I think $50/gallon is plenty for really good paint. It still seems very expensive to me. But I don't like to paint and if it lasts longer it is worth a few more dollars. I've repainted my entire interior and now some exterior of the current house. I use Zinseer ceiling paint (the kind that goes on with a pink tint then turns white), Valspar mid or high level interior paint (not much difference but high grade is supposed to be mold resistant so I used it in a bathroom), and Behr Ultra exterior paint. When I prime, I use Kilz total one. Too early to tell about durability but they all go on well and clean up well. I'll probably switch to Behr interior when the current gallons run out (Valspar was the wife's choice).

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sign up for Sherwin Williams email list. They send out coupons for 30-40 percent off regularly.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Signed up for the email list. Hope it's not a mistake because they asked for everything except my credit rating. Also found out the 40% sale is this weekend through Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors