What's your favorite "cheap" tool?

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
Acid free glue brushes! I really love being able to just throw them away once finished for whatever reason.
I was keeping the free Harbor freight coupons for the microfiber rags - I got so many of them, I use them and toss 'em!
Next was a coupon for chip brushes - I especially like these for anchor seal for log ends, like the acid brushes - toss 'em when I am done and little guilt for the cost.

build4fun

Brian
User
Probably my favorite cheap tool is a simple wooden radius edge plane. I have a small shop and using a plane to soften edges saves me a lot of set up time with my router table.... not to mention that I sometimes think my router table's primary purpose is to spray sawdust everywhere with shaping edges being a secondary effect.

Perhaps a close second is all of my rehabbed hand saws - antiques that others were ready to pitch.

build4fun

Brian
User
Miller’s-Falls hand drill that cost $15 at an estate sale. My goto drill for small bits and counter sinks. It’s quiet and gets smoother with use.View attachment 197903
I have a junk hand drill that was made to look similar to the one you have. Mine is very loud and not very smooth (perhaps free play in the gears). Any advice on finding a decent one?

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
I have a junk hand drill that was made to look similar to the one you have. Mine is very loud and not very smooth (perhaps free play in the gears). Any advice on finding a decent one?
Brian, what exactly are you looking for? just a "regular" tuned-up egg beater drill or are you looking for speed changers, shiny paint etc.?

build4fun

Brian
User
Brian, what exactly are you looking for? just a "regular" tuned-up egg beater drill or are you looking for speed changers, shiny paint etc.?
Hank, ... I am primarily looking for a manual hand drill to make pilot holes for screws (#8x1.25" screws), sometimes counter sink (if possible), and occasionally drill somewhat larger holes (1/4" being most common, but occasionally I need to make a counterbore the size of the screw head to hide a screw). That would cover a very large portion of my needs.

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
Hank, ... I am primarily looking for a manual hand drill to make pilot holes for screws (#8x1.25" screws), sometimes counter sink (if possible), and occasionally drill somewhat larger holes (1/4" being most common, but occasionally I need to make a counterbore the size of the screw head to hide a screw). That would cover a very large portion of my needs.
Let me look, hopefully tonight more likely tomorrow night and I will PM you with what I have - where are you located? - I don't see a location when I hove over your avatar...

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
In the Raleigh Durham area.
that is good, regional shipping would be cheap or NCWW Pony express, could be counted on - I plan to make a trip up that way sometime before Christmas... so there is that option as well!

pop-pop

Man with many vises
User
First, I looked for a Miller’s-Falls brand drill as I think they are best (YMMV). Second, make sure it has three miter gears and not just two.
Third, make sure the springs are intact inside the chuck. With the chuck open an 1/8” or so, each of the three jaws should feel springy not floppy.
Lastly, oil each place where parts move against each other.
Mine got smoother with usage.

23tony

Tony
Senior User
Jeff, aren't all the Kershaw blades stainless? I have not been happy with ANY stainless blade. The capability to stay sharp and re-sharpen is disappointing..

I guess I should ask first - whish one do you have or do you know the model?
I have the Blur and haven't had much trouble like that.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Look around at flea markets and antique shops. They are like peanuts to me...I can't stop buying them. But I have a hard limit of $15.... most of the time.

20201016_162623.jpg

I only buy Miller's Falls and Goodell-Pratt. They are not hard to take apart and clean... Just watch out for the ball bearings when you remove the shaft. You need a small punch and hammer. If you get the old grease out and clean it up if should work better unless something is out of whack.

Post a pic of yours...

pop-pop

Man with many vises
User
I have several commercial glue spreading thingys but this hastily made one beats them all and it is super easy to clean. The label is to help prevent tossing it out.
9F86389D-3C2A-4DE0-9324-96B4A1DC7192.jpeg

Chris C

Chris
Senior User

I see at least two and probably three in this ad. One looks like a Millers Falls and one a Stanley. I'm betting the seller would entertain an offer on just those....

Phil S

Board of Directors, President
Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I keep bouncing this around in my head and got the answer when I reached to use both of these today

I hate the plastic bottle water sprayers with pumps that always fail. I need a spritz of water for many chores - sharpening, glue cleanup, etc. Found this planter spritzer and it works great every time I push the plunger

IMG_6024.jpg

My next best may not be cheap but certainly was a good value to me as I use this little gem almost everyday
It is a Lie Nielsen violin plane

IMG_6025.jpg

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS