What's your favorite "cheap" tool?

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
Thanks. I'll try theirs . I have been using mostly 3M, gold or purple. I know there are as good or better for less. I try to use scrapers instead.
I can't wait to hear what you have to say after you try some Klingspor "sandpaper" (Abrasive) remember they cater to each dicipline- there are automotive guys out that use KLINGSPOR Abrasives exclusively!
But having had the experience with 3M (and the best 3M products [gold or purple]) if you get the comparable Klingspor product, I will be interested to see what you think...

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
I can't wait to hear what you have to say after you try some Klingspor "sandpaper" (Abrasive) remember they cater to each dicipline- there are automotive guys out that use KLINGSPOR Abrasives exclusively!
But having had the experience with 3M (and the best 3M products [gold or purple]) if you get the comparable Klingspor product, I will be interested to see what you think...
When I was in grad school at East Carolina a group from the Sculpture Dept went to visit the sculpture program at UNC-Greensboro and came back with a couple of large sample boxes of Klingspor remnants. All kinds. Grits I did not even know existed. I still have a few of those remnants.

junquecol

Bruce
User
Klingspor bargin box sand paper pieces. I cut my own 12" disks for around $0.50 each. Use Sprayway adhesive (also from Klingspor) to attach them. A pair of General 12", SS, centering rules, bought at clearance in Lowes for a buck each.

CrealBilly

Jeff
Senior User
My favorite tool is my kershaw pocket knife. I use it like a third thumb. I busted the tip earlier this week. But Kershaw has a lifetime warranty on all their knives. The broken blade tip is completely my fault. It's a good thing they replace broken blades for $10.00 flat fee, I just have to mail it in. I will probably buy another one before I mail it in for repair though. Because I really can't be without a good pocket knife for very long.

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
My favorite tool is my kershaw pocket knife. I use it like a third thumb. I busted the tip earlier this week. But Kershaw has a lifetime warranty on all their knives. The broken blade tip is completely my fault. It's a good thing they replace broken blades for $10.00 flat fee, I just have to mail it in. I will probably buy another one before I mail it in for repair though. Because I really can't be without a good pocket knife for very long.
Jeff, aren't all the Kershaw blades stainless? I have not been happy with ANY stainless blade. The capability to stay sharp and re-sharpen is disappointing..

I guess I should ask first - whish one do you have or do you know the model?

CrealBilly

Jeff
Senior User
Jeff, aren't all the Kershaw blades stainless? I have not been happy with ANY stainless blade. The capability to stay sharp and re-sharpen is disappointing..

I guess I should ask first - whish one do you have or do you know the model?
Mine is not stainless and they also make damascus steel pocket knives.

Mine is 420 HC steel model # 1776GRYBW. Made In USA.
Screenshot_20201127-191629.png

YouTube link

I mean seriously... Stumbled on a copperhead in the driveway this summer. Stepped on with my rubber boot. Reached into my pocket, pulled out my knife, flipped the blade open, cut off it head. Stabbed the head with my knife took it over to the grass, dug a hole with the knife and burred the head. Went about my day... Must have a good pocket knife at all times.

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
i really like my HF flush trim saw. I cut plugs for screw holes off with it but also use it for other light trimming jobs. I wish I could find another (or two or three). I don't love my HF aluminum bar type clamps but I like them better than my mixture of pipe clamps. Much lighter and adequate clamping force.

I also like Ryobi cordless drills. I abuse mine drilling 2 1/8 holes for locksets and 1/2 inch holes in steel with them. I managed to break one but I quickly bought a replacement. They are cheap but will do work my 12V Milwaukee refuses to do.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
These are my are my favorites as of late. Got each for 5 bucks each. the machinist square I got at a garage sale. The Milwaukee small speed square was a kit (big one + small one) I got with a discount for just over 10 bucks.

Attachments

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Bought cheap at a tool tent sale, these have gotten much more use than I would have imagined. Great for a little hammer, and removing staples, pin nails and brads.

Attachments

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS