whats this drawer style called?

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
looking to do something like this where they are easily removable and not sure what to google for ideas, thnx

adeptus-6-drawer-roll-cart-medium-pine.jpg

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
If you want to just pull the drawer out to me that means no slides, just a standard drawer runner/kicker set up.
Another option is a dado in the drawer side that a runner slides into.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
thanks, after searching on inset drawer i saw some pics with the word cutout and that helped narrow things down more for me.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A while back I did a couple of grinder stands sort of like that. I put the stand on a floor float to get a much wider stance for the rollers. The one pictures looks like it would fall over easily if it hit something on the floor.
My drawer criteria was similar. The drawers needed to be slide-in storage boxes for various things. Its a relatively simple build but one needs to be careful to keep the tolerances fairly consistent. Drawer sides are 5/8" thick. There's a 5/8" strip above the top drawer so fastener heads won't interfere with drawer withdrawal. Drawer guides are 1/4" Doug fir plywood strips glued and stapled on. The dado in the drawer sides is 3/4" x 1/4" deep.

1 grinderstand - 1.jpg

Boxes assembled. Plywood ends have hot melt veneer tape.

1 grinderstand - 2.jpg

Test fitting the drawers. Note the gap above the top drawer

1 grinderstand - 3.jpg

Drawer sides made from salvaged walnut library shelves.

1 grinderstand - 4.jpg

Finished cabinet with floor float base and Corian top for a tool grinder.

1 grinderstand - 5.jpg

Woodturning tool sharpening grinder stand.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
thanks for the pics, I plan to do something like this with the cutouts instead of handles.

A while back I did a couple of grinder stands sort of like that. I put the stand on a floor float to get a much wider stance for the rollers. The one pictures looks like it would fall over easily if it hit something on the floor.
My drawer criteria was similar. The drawers needed to be slide-in storage boxes for various things. Its a relatively simple build but one needs to be careful to keep the tolerances fairly consistent. Drawer sides are 5/8" thick. There's a 5/8" strip above the top drawer so fastener heads won't interfere with drawer withdrawal. Drawer guides are 1/4" Doug fir plywood strips glued and stapled on. The dado in the drawer sides is 3/4" x 1/4" deep.

View attachment 189074
Boxes assembled. Plywood ends have hot melt veneer tape.

View attachment 189075
Test fitting the drawers. Note the gap above the top drawer

View attachment 189076
Drawer sides made from salvaged walnut library shelves.

View attachment 189077
Finished cabinet with floor float base and Corian top for a tool grinder.

View attachment 189078

Woodturning tool sharpening grinder stand.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Zap I scoop ALL of my inset drawers/pullouts. Also BLUM undermount self closing slides :D :):D . I make a jig, a pc to copy, draw it on every front, ruff on bandsaw then sand to finish. You can also do same cept take a top bearing router bit. after ruff, clamp onto face and just finish rout them

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
thanks for the pics, I plan to do something like this with the cutouts instead of handles.

Do consider the wire pulls if you are going to use the drawers as pull-out boxes. that's what I do. For example, I've got my Dremel stuff in one, specialized electrical tools in another, P-Touch labeler in one, taps and dies in one, and soldering stuff in one. I pull out the drawer box and carry it to the bench, use the contents, and have a container to return the tools to. Then its a single trip to put things back. That feature I really like.

The long term utility of having a handle to carry the box is mighty nice and it doesn't interfere with the box sides. Also minimum openings for sawdust to get in.

The wire pulls are cheap off of eBay from time to time.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
It's not for a workshop thing but is is hobby related. Just experimenting with different drawer styles with something in a spare bedroom. I'll prob go the router bit way, spindle sander is on a flip top cart and currently upside down, lol.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS