What type of Shoes to you wear in your Workshop?

JoeH

New User
JoeH
The important thing I've seen from foot doctors is to rotate through your shoes. Even subtle differences help move contact points around which in turn changes which how the musculature responds. Share the load around.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
1594756968587.png

My wife shamed me into buying these against my better judgement. I wear them everyday - most comfortable things I've worn in years. Don't tell her I said so.

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
I wear leather clogs made by Dansko. Great arch support and the thick leather provides good protection for the feet. I have a concrete floor and can stand up all day w/o discomfort. The brand was recommended to me by my physician and my ER nurse (wife).

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Same as MarkE. Once I found Keen sneakers with steel toes I have gone through 3 pair so far. They have many different models but similar to these:

Reactions: JSJ

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I hate it, but I just order a pair of crocs to try. Hopefully that helps with the arch pain after an afternoon in the shop

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Skechers also makes "Work" steel toe shoes that look a lot like those Keens. I got mine at DSW a couple of years ago and they've held up well. They are also significantly less expensive. They are also available on Amazon.

BiancaGlenn

New User
BiancaGlenn
When it comes to workshop footwear, comfort and support are key, especially when you're spending long hours on concrete floors. Personally, I swear by sturdy work boots with excellent arch support to keep my feet happy and healthy. If you're noticing arch issues, it might be worth considering shoes with better support or even investing in orthotic inserts for added comfort.
On another note, have you ever looked into Temu boots? They've been getting some positive buzz lately for their exceptional support and durability. Checking out a Temu review could give you more insights into whether they might be a good fit for your workshop needs.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
PM sent. Zero incline no arch shoes, toe lifts. We have been sold a pile of goods with supportive shoes as they allow our foot to breakdown.

helper

helper - woodsman
User
Am I the only one that wears them good ole 30+ year old cowboy boot that has the soles redone four or five times, had new heals a couple of times, and fit like a soft sock?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Am I the only one that wears them good ole 30+ year old cowboy boot that has the soles redone four or five times, had new heals a couple of times, and fit like a soft sock?
Cowboy boots growing up is why big and first my toes are crooked. Probably why my first bout of tendon issues. They are designed for riding, not walking. Walking boots were the low heel wide toe "Wellington"
I hate my crocks. Feel funny and the side rivet blisters my foot, but with socks, they do the correct thing. No incline, wide toe box. Really good cushioning from the floor.
After switching to my non-incline wide shoes, my Keen and Timberline boots I can only wear for a couple of hours doing yard work. I hope they wise up and make a shoe I can wear as otherwise, excellent products.
Merrell are not what they use to be. Same with Bass. Bummer. SAS still makes excellent shoes, but they all have too much incline. The old original Clarks "desert boot" is close, but toe too narrow.
Modern high arch super padded sole is what put me onto a cane and about three years of not being to walk to the end of my street. Another issue is the traditional size for shoes is 1 to 1 1/2 size too small. They don't let your foot work as it is intended.

Goal for the shop, maybe next year, is 3/8 rubber sheet as James Wright suggests. I should look for some steel toe zero incline wide toe shoes for the shop. A #4 on the toe would smart, never mind a Stanley #7.

PS: The real bummer is my love for British sports cars and big feet. The only way I drove my Morgan was with really snug racing shoes. Even my Spit, I had to bring my foot down and around the steering column to hit the brake. Lotus 7? ( My childhood dream car) Well I think Chapman had size 7 shoes and he built cars to fit himself. I wear a 12.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Hoka Bondi 8 shoes that get too dirty to go anywhere else. These are great shoes recommended by my pod. Only issue with them is the soles rub away fast.

ArtVandelay

David
User
Cowboy boots growing up is why big and first my toes are crooked. Probably why my first bout of tendon issues. They are designed for riding, not walking. Walking boots were the low heel wide toe "Wellington"
I hate my crocks. Feel funny and the side rivet blisters my foot, but with socks, they do the correct thing. No incline, wide toe box. Really good cushioning from the floor.
After switching to my non-incline wide shoes, my Keen and Timberline boots I can only wear for a couple of hours doing yard work. I hope they wise up and make a shoe I can wear as otherwise, excellent products.
Merrell are not what they use to be. Same with Bass. Bummer. SAS still makes excellent shoes, but they all have too much incline. The old original Clarks "desert boot" is close, but toe too narrow.
Modern high arch super padded sole is what put me onto a cane and about three years of not being to walk to the end of my street. Another issue is the traditional size for shoes is 1 to 1 1/2 size too small. They don't let your foot work as it is intended.

Goal for the shop, maybe next year, is 3/8 rubber sheet as James Wright suggests. I should look for some steel toe zero incline wide toe shoes for the shop. A #4 on the toe would smart, never mind a Stanley #7.

PS: The real bummer is my love for British sports cars and big feet. The only way I drove my Morgan was with really snug racing shoes. Even my Spit, I had to bring my foot down and around the steering column to hit the brake. Lotus 7? ( My childhood dream car) Well I think Chapman had size 7 shoes and he built cars to fit himself. I wear a 12.
If you have a love of British sports cars, you need to be a member of an electrician's forum too 😉

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If you have a love of British sports cars, you need to be a member of an electrician's forum too 😉
Looked on Amazon. Only a couple steel toe shoes with wide toe box and not sure any are no-incline and no arch.

Yea, I was a electronics technician in my first career. I re-wire all my cars.
Actually ALL older cars have the same electrical fault. No dielectric grease in the connectors. Lucas, Prince of Darkness, is no worse than any other vintage cars as they were designed to last only a few years. Now it was Triumph who put a 27 A alternator in the TR-6. ( and my TVR) . Not Lucas. How far can you drive at night in the rain, not that it is ever dark, chilly, and wet in England? My SOP: Delco CS130.

Hint: On older shop tools ever wonder why the switches go bad? Yup, the grease dries out, contacts corrode, and then they burn up. Just physics.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS