What type barrel or shop fan do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorm

New User
Dorm
With the heat these past few weeks, I broke down and bought a 36" barrel fan from Lowes to move some air in the shop. The fan is waaaay too noisy! I can hardly hear anything ... no Pandora radio, and certainly anyone talking has to yell to get above the noise. So, I was looking for a lower RPM fan, but with a long blade length so as to move the air. I'm thinking too about putting in a couple of 72" ceiling fans as these would certainly be quieter, but I have to run wiring and such. I'd rather be woodworking.

What are you using for this, and is it fairly quiet?

Thanks - Dorm

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just one smart alack suggestion :rolleyes:
(I too have a crappy fan... following this post for reasonably priced solutions...)
igloo.jpg

Dorm

New User
Dorm
I'll wait a while to see what the responses are on this, but I'm liking the idea of two 60" ceiling fans ... no cords to mess with and very quiet. Again, I'll wait to see what the responses are.

Ciao - Dorm

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I use an old re-purposed multi-speed furnace fan to move lots of air or create a gentle breeze -- as squirrel cage fans, they are not as noisy as many fans out there -- visit your local HVAC repair place and maybe they'll give you one.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Below are two of the fans I use in my shop. The first is a floor fan that I mounted upside down on the ceiling. I had to run a wire to it in the attic, but that was fairly simple. It turns on/off w/ a pull string.

The second one is an old squirrel cage fan in a plywood box. The round base has wheels so I can position it anywhere in the shop I need it. There is a frame on each side which holds a furnace filter to help clean the air in the shop when it runs.

I have several other shop made contraptions which I use to move air, but don't have pics of them readily available.

BCS105.JPG

BCS106.JPG

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Same as McRabbet. They're usually free from your regular HVAC man. I have one in a roll around cabinet and another perched high on a shelf.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a large ceiling fan that runs 90% of the time, year round.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I just use an ossillating fan at one end and an A/C unit on the other....

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use a Vornado brand fan for supplemental breeze (also have A/C and Heat in the shop). The Vornado's are relatively quiet and move a lot of air on the high setting. I have one that is about 12" diameter in the shop and one sitting beside this chair by the PC that is about 8". Had them for years - they hold up very well. Only problem I've had is the knob on this one broke - I just 3D printed a replacement.

Mr Woodie

New User
Woody
I was at a garage sale, and the seller had made a shop fan from a ceiling fan, mounted in a 2x6 frame, mounted on it's side, with a wire mesh grill on each side.
Very quiet.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I'm being as bad as Hank and here's my smart alack answer. First you guys sweltering in this heat are going to hate me. My shop is in my basement which makes the insulation very good. In the summer & winter my HVAC plant is in the basement so with the doors closed it's cool in the summer & warm in winter. If it gets too cold I have a small gas space heater to supplement. Now the part were I just lucked out. In the spring & fall with the back door open and garage door up my shop is geographically sitting so there is always a breeze flowing through. Geo Gloat, Geo Gloat :rotflm:

Pop

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have a small window ac unit, and an oscillating pedestal fan in the corner, moving the cooler air about. Not the best set up, but if I aim the fan where I'm working, I can manage the heat just fine.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I have a fan very similar to Bill's floor fan that I hung in the trusses. But it's really to keep the air moving around the shop reenforcing my Jet air cleaner. There's a window unit air conditioner that does the cooling.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Yup those barrel fans ARE noisy. I have one in a window blowing out.

I also have a pedestal fan I picked up on sale from Harbor Freight. Works well, even though the first shipment the motor apparently fell out of the box!!

I also have a ceiling mount fan and a rabbit cage I move around.

The temp in my shop yesterday was 96, so they don't help much right now.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I have a Northern Tool 18" wall mount fan that blows mostly where I stand. It's loud, but no louder than my router cutting wood.

I also run a portable AC unit that vents out small holes in my garage wall (no window so place for a window unit.) Run that about an hour before I go out and with that and the fan stay comfortable, for the most part. Still gonna sweat out there in this heat, but it's not unbearable.

On my upgrade list hopefully for next year is to install a mini-split system in there for heat and cool. Need to insulate two walls first, and find someone to install it for me :)

Cato

New User
Bob
I have a small shop in 2 car garage and so my ceiling mounted Jet AF unit moves the air pretty well for me.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
A friend of mine bought a fan similar to an hvac at wally world moves bout 500cfm not to noisy. he didn't like it so I have it. now if I just had electricity LOL

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
5 K AC unit mounted thru the wall, instead of window, and a 12" floor fan strapped to ceiling. Today, shop was 76, turned on AC. Just went to turn it off, and shop was 75, but a heck of a lot more comfortable (drier.) Pedestal fan from dumpster when I have to work with doors open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS