What to use to sign turnings...

Status
Not open for further replies.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Well, sooner or later you have to start giving away your turnings...I am now to that point.
I'd like to sign the turnings ( 5-10 inch bowls, some candlesticks, some small vases) and label the wood type (elm, cedar, pecan, dogwood, birch). Since some of the bottoms are pretty small, I think I will be best with a woodburning pen instead of a branding iron. Any suggestions as to what tool to get?:icon_scra

DaveO

New User
DaveO
+1 on the Sharpie, but after the finish. Many finish solvents render Sharpie non-permanent. A wood burner is good too, but it's hard to give a good signature with it unless you spend some big bucks on a high quality pen. I've also seen embossing stamps that leave an impression in the wood. They work well in small spaces, but not so good with delicate items, and it helps if you color the stamp in with a Sharpie.
MTCW,
Dave:)

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
For the most part, I've simply used a fine point Sharpie permanent marker. Seems to work well.

+1 ... I have also Noticed as Dave said that the sharpie does smear after you put finish on.

It's been a while since I signed a bowl, but I do remember if I signed the bare wood of the bowl, then put sanding sealer on a day later, then put my finish on the sharpie was fine. Then again I may have just used the Deft spray and that is why it didn't smear, so don't quote me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Matthew

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i've just be taking a pocket knife and scratching my initials and the last 2 digits of the year.

Glennbear

Glenn
I like the idea of a Sharpie but my late father signed the bottom of his wood sculptures with a thick pencil (think carpenter's pencil) if one uses enough pressure the wood is indented. Keep in mind when finishing that DNA such as used in shellac usually removes pencil markings. Like so many other things we do experiment on scrap first. :wsmile:

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
A black Vellum pen from a craft store such as Michaels works very well. These have a fine point and the advantage that the ink is not soluble in finish solvents.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
A zig brand pen found in the scrap book or craft area at your local Wally World work great and do not bleed like a sharpie does with finishes such as lacquer. I now use a good wood burner, but the zig type pen worked great for years.
Jack

llucas

luke
Senior User
Boy, such a good response from a simple question....therefore simple answer.
I have a sharpie, but will get the Vellum pen and the zig pen for comparison. Sure beats the price of a woodburning set...I do have the $15 version of a woodburner, but it is woefully inadequate in my hands.
Soon I hope to have some photos up, but right now my photography skills are as much a challenge as my turning.
thanks to all.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Personally I like the burning idea. Can't get much more permanent than that.:no:

Rob

New User
Rob
I burn, I finally spent the money on a good burner, still need some practice, but it never comes off.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
I use a metallic paint pen, either gold or silver, depending on the shade of the wood.
I can't remember if I usually sign over or under the finish, but I've not had any come off and the metallic looks real purdy! lol
Sharpie makes them, but the last ones I got came from the Dollar Store and seem to be just as good as the Sharpies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors