What to use over stain on cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I have a friend that just bought a house. He had to get new cabinets made but decided to finish hem himself. He has already put on a varnish that said contained some type of varnish, but I'm not sure that is good enough. Should he put something else over top of the stain? He dosent have a gun to spray it so keep tha in mind. Thank for the help.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Do you mean he applied a stain that contained varnish? One product does it all? If so he should read the label carefully. I'm sceptical of products that claim to do 2 jobs at once like paint that primes and paints in one coat. I've used them and they seemed to have held up as well as any other paint, but I just prefer the old fashioned way.
If the product label makes the claim and the product has a warranty then he's probably safe. But personally I would use 2 coats of clear finish over the stain - 3 steps instead of 1. The second coat gets all the misses and thin spots and gives a more uniform finish. I doubt he can 2nd coat with the all in one product but if he applied it according to the directions he should be ok.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
yeah I'm pretty sure he ment it was a all in one type product. He said the staining turned out pretty good but was just worried that he needed more then just the all in one product.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It depends on the product. If it is say Minwax oil based polyshades? If he has put on say 2 coats of the oil based polyshades that would provide decent protection. From what I know it is basically stain and polyurethane in one.

If it is a waterbased product, it still depends on how many coats. Personally, I like a minimum of 2 coats of an oil based product and 3 or 4 coats of a WB product.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
If he used a poly + stain product and is satisfied with the color, then he could just apply another clear topcoat of poly only. He needs to read the can and see what the recoat window is, if it has one.

Chuck

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
If he used Minwax Polyshades and he is happy with the color after two coats, he can apply one or two coats of clear poly varnish for additional protection. If he applies more of the tinted poly, he will find that the intensity gets darker with each coat. Applying a couple of clear coats of poly will not change the color but will increase the film thickness and therefor, the protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS