What to look for on a used SawStop

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I have an opportunity to buy a used PCS 1.75 hp, 36” rip SawStop with the industrial mobile base. Having never used a SawStop, what do I need to look for before pulling the trigger? I know the things to check common to all table saws (broken trunnion, blade alignment, etc.). What do I need to know about SawStop wizardry to ensure the electronics are good?

Really wish this was a 3hp, but I guess I could always upgrade the motor later.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Check that the sensor bypass works. When cutting treated or wet wood, you want to be able to turn off the brake or it will trigger. Also, make sure the seal on the brake (the part facing the blade) isn’t broken. I don’t recall why that‘s important but someone mentioned that as one to be aware of.

When you first plug it in, the lights below the power switch go through a particular sequence (check the manual online) and you just want to be sure it does that as well.

Probably more, but those are what I recall.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If the blade doesn't turn freely then you know you have a novice seller on your hands that has triggered the blade stop. o_O
o_O

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I have a 3hp PCS... and with regards to the brake sensor working, or not...

Turn the power to the saw on, but do NOT power on the blade (do not pull the paddle). The blade isn't moving at this time, so you CAN touch the blade with a finger, or something metal, and if the sensor is working correctly, the sensor will trigger the flashing red light on the light panel.

And with regards to upgrading the motor from 1.75 to 3hp (220).. I do not think this is possible. I'll have to check my emails to SawStop, since I believe I asked them this very same question.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Found this, which should be extremely helpful.

Upgrade MY 1.75hp to 3HP sawstop​

posted 02-24-2018 12:11 PM

In the above post, there is a link that will bring you to the following:

posted 03-09-2014 03:13 PM
Step-by-step process

Upgrading Sawstop Motor​

Before you decide, either way, I would reach out to SawStop and ask and see if this is possible as well as what items would need upgrading (internal wiring, etc.), a long with the motor, as well.

Best,

Rory

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If the base fence, it is junk and you will want to spend BIG bucks to replace it. About $500 depending on rail length.
I recall seeing something on upgrading the motor and it too was not cheap.
So, unless you can get it real cheap, maybe use a Supercooltools fence, it may not be a great buy.

Fred J

Fred
User
I would make sure the saw works as intended and the top isn’t rusted. Before I got my 3 hp PCS, those were the things I looked for. Should the Sawstop be treated any different from a Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic, etc.?

Rory gave a good explanation of how to test the brake system.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the above information. I picked up the saw earlier today. No issues and looks almost new.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS