What to do with spare parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
After making a few rocking chairs from wine barrels what do you do with the spare barrel heads, staves and hoops? You make a table! The card part is finding rivets so you can make the hoops smaller. I found #10 galvanized steel rivets at Holcomb Hardware on Main Street Mt. Airy under about an inch of dust. If you are ever in Mt. Airy check them out.

Attachments

• Wine Barrell Table 1.jpg
    Wine Barrell Table 1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 234

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Mike,

The top is 22" in diameter and the height is 24". I cut a 19" circle out of 3/4" plywood to attach the legs, hoop and top. The tops of the legs and plywood were cut on a 12.5º angle to match the flair of the hoop. The whole thing is put together with screws and plugged. The hoop fits pretty tight but I used a few small finish nails to hold it in place incase the wood shrinks. MC was around 14%. I used some General Finishes Out Door Oil and General Finishes WB Exterior 450 semi-gloss for the finish.

allisnut

New User
Adam
3/4ish x 3/4ish x 5ish will get you most any pen, 3" long is enough for most of the single barrel parker refill pens.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Adam,

If you have a way to cut them up, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of pieces to play with.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Your table looks great and will go with your rocking chairs perfectly. Nice work.

Red

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
Nice work, and the staves are a bear to work with, nothing straight or square. Had a barrel, made a table, many spoons large and small, oven rack pull/push sticks, and now some crosses.

Attachments

• DSCN1412.JPG
    DSCN1412.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Crosses1.JPG
    Crosses1.JPG
    657.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Spoons for Sisters.JPG
    Spoons for Sisters.JPG
    665.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Spoon for Glen 1.jpg
    Spoon for Glen 1.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
Rick thanks, I cut the profile of the spoons with a jigsaw, then used a spokeshave to round the edges, and a gouge and mallet to shape the 'scoop' part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS