what to do with Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
A friend of mine is cutting down some Holy trees and asked I as interested in them. I know that 2 of them are dead already, but there are at least 2 more that are alive. The trunks are about 12" in diameter.

Does it make sense to go after these things and if I do is there an ideal way to saw and dry it?

Thanks,

Jerome

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I've always heard you should cut Holly in the middle of winter to prevent Blue Stain. Kyle Edwards cut some of the nicest and widest Holly I've ever seen a few years back. The board I got was white as snow. I'm thinking it was warm weather when he did it. Contact him for advice. I'm sure lots of Luthiers and inlay folks will beat a path to it if you don't want it. I've heard of a strain of fungus you can use to innoculate the lumber which will prevent the Blue Stain but I'm not sure you can use it on Holly.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Don't play any Chubby Checker records while it dries. :rolf:

I have some small white propellers. For my purposes, using tiny amounts at a time, that is okay.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
A friend of mine is cutting down some Holy trees and asked I as interested in them. I know that 2 of them are dead already, but there are at least 2 more that are alive. The trunks are about 12" in diameter.

Does it make sense to go after these things and if I do is there an ideal way to saw and dry it?

Thanks,

Jerome

My advise is to mill it into boards the same day it's cut off the stump. When milling boards don't let the sun hit them and stack them kiln dry as the boards come off the mill. Again it's important to keep them out of the sun - the sun makes them turn yellow, high humidity during the drying cycle will cause staining, both of which are not desired when it comes to holly.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
thanks I think that this is what I will do.

Jerome

My advise is to mill it into boards the same day it's cut off the stump. When milling boards don't let the sun hit them and stack them kiln dry as the boards come off the mill. Again it's important to keep them out of the sun - the sun makes them turn yellow, high humidity during the drying cycle will cause staining, both of which are not desired when it comes to holly.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I just about broke into tears. the dead tree was 1.5 feet in diameter and had a trunk about 20' long. Straight as an arrow. Unfortunately it looked yellow and and started to get punky. :gar-Cr

My buddy wasn't at home, and i didn't see any other standing trees. Maybe next time.

Jerome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors