What the?!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
You mean to tell me we spend all this time and effort to make wood look nice and there's a machine to muck it all up?

Wood - Lumber Distressing Machine - $7500 (West Jefferson)

1590182590047.png

1590182618291.png

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
LOL !!! this reminds me in the 80's I was doing this remodel on 2 bath rooms. Total contract price was 219k .... yeah, it super High End. We made these Mesquite wood cabinets, they requested a clear lacquer finish, I think we charged something like 15-17 k for them.
Once we had them onsite, the owner changed his mind and asked us to sandblast them then white wash them.o_O My working partner had such a meltdown. :rolleyes: I thought about it and sure it will cost 2k to do so though, the client agreed. Moral of the story, people who are rich does not equate to people with sense.;)

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Once we had them onsite, the owner changed his mind and asked us to sandblast them then white wash them.o_O

They were ahead of their time. Now everyone seems to want "barn wood" everything, the more "patina" the better. It's a fad. 20 years from now new owners will rip out all that stuff as "so 2020."

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
That takes the fun out of tying the piece of lumber to a trailer hitch and then driving around. Of course followed up with hitting it with a chain and gouging it with chisels!

nn4jw

New User
Jim
A few years ago you could get "barn wood" for next to nothing. It wasn't worth burning. Today - it can cost even more than other wood.

Find out what they are ripping out today to toss in the dumpster and invest in it. It will be worth more in a few years. I'm leaving our 70's paneling in place in the family room. It's about due to become the "latest" thing soon.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I prefer the "bag of rocks" method to distress wood. Yeah, sure, that's what the "bag of rocks" is for :)

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have never truly understood the "stressed" wood look. I work hard at getting everything (boards and finish) smooth and even, so the thought of putting boards through a machine that stresses them is not on my radar. I have seen guys on Youtube take a perfectly nice looking piece of furniture and beat it with chains.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I have a friend that's truly remarkable at faking antiques. The process is long and tedious since it addresses common wear and abuse patterns plus the appearance of joinery techniques appropriate for the time. The 'beat it with chains' thing is not something he does. His work is in demand because it is so thorough. He doesn't do the work with the intent to deceive. He says that very often a client will have an antique of a particular style and age and wants matching pieces of furniture such as a couple of side tables to go with an antique family wardrobe, etc. The clients also like his work because while the piece looks of the right age, it isn't ready to fall apart with the first errant jostle.

I think that the big red embossing machine was made to address a demand that may not be there.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS