What the heck is a chalumeau?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
It's the predecessor to the modern clarinet. The original ones were usually made of cane or corn stalk and did not survive so they are mostly constructed based on iconography and written descriptions. I made a couple:
chal1.jpg
The top one is more historically correct, with a wooden mouthpiece and thread wrapped reed. The bottom one is a style that a number of makers offer. It is sort of a cross between a recorder and clarinet; it has a standard clarinet mouthpiece and a body with holes that use recorder fingering (there is another hole on the back side).

I have a few more of each style under construction.

I have also started churning out a few side blown C flutes:
3cFlutes.jpg
A big "thank you" goes out to SteveHall, who has helped me figure out the embouchure size/shape. I have more finished and in various stages of construction.

Also have more D whistles finished and in the works. Another big "thank you" goes out to whoever it was that suggested I mark my drilling jig for the common hole patterns. I did that and it really speeds up drilling a batch.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
You're really cranking them out!

You should add some audio so we can hear how the sound, :thumbs_up

pete

CarvedTones

Andy
You're really cranking them out!

You should add some audio so we can hear how the sound, :thumbs_up

pete

I know. I really need to get better at playing them. I use a tuner and check them for accuracy and I do play, but not all that well, so I am a little concerned about uploading sound files. I need to get a video of a better player on one or more of them. The reed instruments can be particularly torturous in the wrong hands.

CarvedTones

Andy
Reed instruments can be measured using the unit of measure known as CLI or Cat Levitation Inches. A quality instrument should score at least 30... :D

Rick M

New User
Rick
Very nice. I've made a few PVC penny whistles and bought some reeds for making a wood sax but haven't started that project yet.

CarvedTones

Andy
That's the one, from his book, Making Simple Music Instruments. Have you tried it?

No. I thought about it, but I am more drawn to historical instruments from further back (sax was invented in 1800s). The semi-modern chalumeau is a little bit of a concession to practicality on my part, but a lot of the early music players use them.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I know. I really need to get better at playing them. I use a tuner and check them for accuracy and I do play, but not all that well, so I am a little concerned about uploading sound files. I need to get a video of a better player on one or more of them. The reed instruments can be particularly torturous in the wrong hands.
I think we need a new posting rule to complement, No picture it didn't happen. No sound file, you didn't make it.:gar-La;

CarvedTones

Andy
I think we need a new posting rule to complement, No picture it didn't happen. No sound file, you didn't make it.:gar-La;

I do need to get better at the reeds. I can play a few tunes on whistles and a couple on side blown flute but there is some trial and error on every note on the reed (not just ones I make; it is an acquired skill in general). Maybe I could use that to my advantage - "If you don't buy this chalumeau, I will be forced to play it again!" :gar-Bi

I will try to put together something this weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS