What some people want

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Fortunately my associate is doing this one, I freaked out when I saw it. We have high end stained knotty Alder on this island, cost big Dollar. The plan was to wrap the back and sides with mdf core Alder ply to match.

The customers changed their mind, they had barn wood pine siding they wanted to use instead. Splinters and checks will be left as shown.

Perhaps my taste is outdated?

C8805A36-C26B-415E-A0B8-C6A6EEEEA002.jpeg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It happens about maybe two kitchens out of 100 or maybe 150. I’m not not a huge fan either but if the money is green, bite your tongue and move forward. Everything looks better from my house.
hey, I like what’s going on with the rest of the room.

bainin

New User
bainin
Pretty rustic- but that seems to be the "in" thing lately, including live edge stuff imo.
The other place I see it is in the environmentally conscious - "reuse" style stuff.

b

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Kitchens are pretty "sterile" these days - white cabinets, marble countertops, it's white white white. So it's only natural people look for something warm, some rustic accents, something that feels "real". It's a stupid idea of course, but hey, you can always sand/ stain/ paint/ replace it.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't get the craze of using rough sawn lumber in a finished room. The first time I saw this was a few years ago as my wife and I were touring one of the houses on Parade of Homes. They had paneled a bedroom wall with rough sawn pine and then painted it. If you rubbed your hand across it you were sure to get splinters. My wife's comment, "No woman would want that to clean!".

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Fortunately my associate is doing this one, I freaked out when I saw it. We have high end stained knotty Alder on this island, cost big Dollar. The plan was to wrap the back and sides with mdf core Alder ply to match.

The customers changed their mind, they had barn wood pine siding they wanted to use instead. Splinters and checks will be left as shown.

Perhaps my taste is outdated?

View attachment 205385
Reminds of the saying about backpackers buying equipment (stay with me on this):
‘Spending thousands of dollars to live like a caveman’

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
After you get finished with it and when you leave the project, look at the mailbox. If it isn't your name on it, and they pay you, you've done all you can.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Barnwood and pallet wood are my least favorite species!
All I can imagine is someone snagging an $800 dress on that and I think all the charm will wear off......

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
But I do agree, I wish the all white would go away along with the dark oak of the 70's. Neither will hold up over time. The wall to wall golden oak was usually overdone. Getting ready to paint my all white kitchen. Putty and off-white.
There are so many really pretty woods but people are afraid. I did my last house in hickory.

There is some liability to the builder under the "suitability for use" clause, but that does not extend to taste.

A lot of modern fads forget the "living with it" part. Who the heck wants to clean around a clawfoot tub?

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
When my neighbors had their house built (11 months ago), they wanted white everything!
Every time I go over, I want to scoop my eyes out. Too much white for my tastes.

Also... "have fun" with that island (I mean the customers)!
Splinters, snags, rips, tears,... you name it. It'll happen.

Oh well...

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wait until they find out how hard it is to clean. ;)
I think Fred nailed it...I had something similar when living in Texas; the surfaces couldn't be wiped down they had to be vacuumed, which was very unsatisfactory.

gmakra

New User
George
To me its a passing phase and will phase out like bell bottom jeans the pet rock and harvest gold appliances.

Myself i personally like live edge wood and reclaimed wood. It breaks up all the sameness that prevails in our society. Soon you will be left with a handfull of big cabinet manufactures and the small cabinet and furniture shops will fade away.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have had this experience - We made cabinets with Hickory and Ash........ came out awesome. When we got them to the jobsite, the owner looked at them and told me "hmm I think I want them sandblasted and white washed.......... :oops: ......... customer is the customer..... so we did it ... smh
30 years later I remember this like yesterday

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I recall my dad talking about a job in a new plant where they installed beautiful birch doors throughout the office area. A new plant manager came in before it was finished, had them take all these doors down, trim them down in size and then each was covered in metal sheeting. Go figure.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS