What program do you use for keeping records of equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
This morning on the chat session we were talking about recording our shop equipment for insurance purposes. I'd like to find one that is simple to use, configurable, can record pictures, serial numbers, model numbers, etc. Any suggestions? What do you use?

Thanks!

Richo B

New User
Richo
Personally I would use Excel Spreadsheet and then save it in a PDF format so anyone can access it.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I have a CD with numbered photos of everything. Shop exterior, storage areas, shop interior overview, individual equipment/item details w/serial #'s, etc.

Using Excel I start with photo # or #'s, description of equipment/item, etc., model/serial # if required, today's replacement value. (Original cost is irrelevant if you have replacement value coverage).

Example showing several photos of the lathe tool cabinet:

List a photo # and then detail what is in the photo,

4530Face Shield, Sanding Discs
2)Sanding Pads
250) Sanding Discs
7) Easywood Tools @ 150,
45314) Turning Tools, Parting Tool, Cutters
8 Piece Woodriver Turning Tool Set
4532Termite Tool
Robert Sorby Bowl Scraper
12" Center Finding Rule
3) Oneway Talon Chucks,
4533Jumbo Jaws
7) Jaw Sets
4534Drill Chuck
45352) Oneway Live Centers
Drill Chuck, Screw Centers, Stub Center
4536Screw Center
Stub Center
2) Dead Centers
Oneway Steady Rest, 6" & 9" Curved Tool Rests
45376" Curved Tool Rest
9" Curved Tool Rest
6" Tool Rest
Face Shield
Cabinet

Be ready to be amazed. There is over $4000 in my lathe cabinet.

FYI, the last thing an insurance adjuster wants to see is a 4 hour video of someone explaining what everything is.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks for the Excel comments!

I was looking at some android apps since that's what I use for my cell phone. I like the idea of being able to take photos right in the app. Finally I'd then back up to dropbox for safe keeping. Anyone use an android app? which one? Pros...Cons?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
One thing to think about before using any mobile device for an inventory containing pictures is storage capacity. Pictures take up a lot of storage. Maybe using some kind of cloud storage would help. Even then, it wouldn't take too much (I think) before you had a spreadsheet too large to even load up and edit on a mobile device.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
[FONT=&quot]I use a self written (aka never completely done) MS Access database. I don't take pictures in the application, but do add pictures that I take with camera/phone/download. Or at least I did until Win 10. Win 10 broke my app but I still use it with my Vista machine.[/FONT]

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Thanks for the Excel comments!

I was looking at some android apps since that's what I use for my cell phone. I like the idea of being able to take photos right in the app. Finally I'd then back up to dropbox for safe keeping. Anyone use an android app? which one? Pros...Cons?

Downside to this is how hard or easy is it to get the info to the insurance adjuster. Will the app export it in a format the adjuster can quickly and easily view? Can he cut/paste the info from your data into the programs he uses?

Only advantage I see with this is convenience for the user, take picture, fill in info, then go to next item. Unless the app downsizes the pictures automatically it will take up a lot of space quickly. And if it does downsize them, it may be too small to be usable later, especially to verify model / serial info from a picture.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I keep mine in a Google Docs spreadsheet. Also have photos of everything backed up on GDocs. That way in case of a total loss I can access the inventory from any computer or my phone and print it out. I also print a copy for my file cabinet just in case something happens to GDocs.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
You can do the same with Microsoft Online. I have both Google Sheets and Excel Online. Works good for collaborative spreadsheets.
I keep mine in a Google Docs spreadsheet. Also have photos of everything backed up on GDocs. That way in case of a total loss I can access the inventory from any computer or my phone and print it out. I also print a copy for my file cabinet just in case something happens to GDocs.

mamell

New User
Marty
I'm glad I read this thread. It reminds me that I really need to take an inventory of everything. It's not that much of it is top of the line equipment, but it's my equipment. Even though I've lost everything I owned in the past doesn't mean that I necessarily want to lose it all again. I once lost thousands of dollars worth of auto body equipment through my own stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors