What planes are best for end grain???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I have not found the need for spray adhesive. If your glass is clean and you use wet/dry paper it will stick quite nicely just with water. It will still peel off easily but will stay in place just fine. Maybe there is more to the technique than I know so if there is something I am unaware of please let me know....

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Water will definitely work, but I think adhesive is better until you have an idea of the whole process and the physics of what you are doing. The reason I recommend adhesive for starting out is to take a possible problem out of the equation. Just using water, depending on your technique, and especially if you get going fairly aggressively, you can create a little "wave" in front of the blade that will round over the edge.

DavidF

New User
David
Jonz - good point. I use water and love it, but as I demo'd to my "apprentices" recently, I apply pressure on the back stroke and ease up very slightly pushing forward. This avoids the problem you mention and also avoids "forcing" the burr off too early.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Most interesting, I was taught to only use "pull" strokes and not "push". Maybe for the reasons Jon and David point out I now see. I learn something every day and since I am empty reservoir for knowledge that seems appropriate....:oops:

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I always mainly put the pressure on the pull stroke as well. It just makes more sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS