what oil for hand plane maintenance?

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I saw in a video someone used Camellia oil to clean up hand planes after each use before putting them away, to keep them looking like new over many years of use. I'm curious to see what others use and if you recommend Camellia oil, what type? I see cold pressed, and I do see some for blades, but they seem to be much more expensive. Is this due to a different processing? or just hype? Please share how you maintain your hand planes! and thanks!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use Camellia Oil to protect my hand planes. It is a very fine oil and other oils that have the same consistency would probably work as well. You don't want anything that is thick that would eventually gum things up. I didn't look into it deeply and just bought a spray bottle of it from one of the WW Dealers, either Klingspor or Woodcraft.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Michael,

Lie-Nielsen sells Jojoba oil for maintaining the planes they make.

I am not advocating for or against any product. Just mentioning what product they offer.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I'm looking at this link below. I have some older hand planes that we're purchased on eBay and craigslist that had some rust that could still use some TLC!

gator

George
Corporate Member
I have never used anything on the few planes I have (and I don't use them often either). My question is - would not the oil transfer to the wood as you use the plane or is the amount so minuscule that it doesn't matter?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Any non drying oil will work. Some smell better than others. George to answer your question, no it will not harm the piece you are working on, a couple passes and the oil is gone. When you oil a plane it's a very thin coat and not a liberal coating. I hope this helps.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I am sure this is heresy but I use plain old 3 in one oil on a rag to wipe down my hand tools. Got that from watching Paul Sellers...

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am sure this is heresy but I use plain old 3 in one oil on a rag to wipe down my hand tools. Got that from watching Paul Sellers...
It's not heresy at all. The reason for using camellia, jojoba, or pure mineral oil is to reduce chemical exposure. It's my understanding that 3-in-1 oil is essentially mineral oil with an additive

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Pretty much any thin non-drying oil will work, as will wax. A mix of beeswax and mineral oil will work well for seldom used tools (i.e. long storage), but is a bit thick for daily maintenance. (requires a wipe on, wipe off, technique). I use it for my specialty planes and hand saws. I do not like pure beeswax because it actually is a bit sticky, and when polished out actually increases friction, unlike paraffin, or paste wax. Johnsons paste wax works, as does neatsfoot oil.

Whatever you use, ensure it does not contain any silicone. The silicone will transfer into the wood, and cause adhesion problems with glues and numerous problems with finishes. This is especially a factor to consider if using an automotive wax.

EXKid

New User
Mark
I use Glide Coat, but overspray can be a bit of a pain to get off the japanning. But since I already have it on hand for the table saw... aside from that I use Marvel, again because i have it on hand.

Sometimes i wonder if Lie-Neilsen and the Chris Schwarz’s of the world try to find the most obscure solutions, just to be difficult. Jojoba oil? Really? Would it kill them to suggest something i can get at any hardware store in the country?

Reactions: TGM

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ok, somebody is going to hate on me for this, before my daughter got me the camellia oil I used Ballistol ‘multi purpose sportsman’s oil’.

The smell is too much for some people, others love it. It stops rust cold. Lubricates leather, finished wood, all types of metal, electrical contacts, etc.

The bottle says it contains mineral oil, doesn’t say what else.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
...I used Ballistol ‘multi purpose sportsman’s oil’.

So it performs (Stops rust cold) BETTER than just mineral oil? that is why you are saying there must be something else in it?

EXKid

New User
Mark
Ok, somebody is going to hate on me for this, before my daughter got me the camellia oil I used Ballistol ‘multi purpose sportsman’s oil’.

The smell is too much for some people, others love it. It stops rust cold. Lubricates leather, finished wood, all types of metal, electrical contacts, etc.

Does it smell like Hoppes?

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
thanks for all the terrific comments! I think I'm going to order some Camellia oil from Smile.Amazon.com and see how that goes. This is why I love this community so much!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I use Glide Coat, but overspray can be a bit of a pain to get off the japanning. But since I already have it on hand for the table saw... aside from that I use Marvel, again because i have it on hand.

Sometimes i wonder if Lie-Neilsen and the Chris Schwarz’s of the world try to find the most obscure solutions, just to be difficult. Jojoba oil? Really? Would it kill them to suggest something i can get at any hardware store in the country?

Paul Sellers says he uses 3-in-1 oil.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors