what kind of wood

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If its sort of soft and stringy and came from a commercial source, its likely butternut. The torn fibers at the top of the piece makes me think that. Ash cuts cleaner than that, but who knows what kind of blade was used for the crosscut.

If its weight is about like cherry, then it well could be ash.

Some trash tree wood looks like that if the source is locally sawn. Catalpa is one that comes to mind.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
As for differences on white oak and ash:

White oak is harder, and denser, making it heavier.
White oak is considered for outdoor furniture
Ash is traditional for baseball bats.
Because the summer growth wood in ash is less dense, it absorbs stains a little better if you want a darker hue (IMHO).

As to the characteristics, they all can be a positive or negative depending on the use. Both are good for furniture and for hand tool shafts, handles, etc. with the same considerations for grain orientation when used for handles and shafts.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I guess tomorrow is the smell test. I really wish I had not looked at Allan's pic's. I am now so jealous I do not care what kind of wood this is.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
It was cut with a newly sharpened Forrest blade. Just to be clear the blade was sharpened by a professional shop.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Thanks Keye, when I built the shop they were harvesting ash by the boatload due to the borer. I think I got it for $2 a board foot or a little more.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I think I am going with the ash guys. After comparing the edge grain I see nothing which makes me think it is oak.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS