What kind of wood is this?

Billm0066

Bill
User
Im sanding down a rocking chair that was given to me. What species do you think this is? Mahogany?

Attachments

• IMG_6428.JPG
    IMG_6428.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_6429.JPG
    IMG_6429.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 241
  • IMG_6430.JPG
    IMG_6430.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 238

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bill, I am far from being an expert on any woodworking question and especially wood identification. That said, it looks like it could be maple. in the last picture I can see figure on the arms of the chair that is very reminiscent of maple.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
my first thought was maple, too, but the grain pattern doesn’t really fit.

then I thought if it’s fairly modern, quite a bit of furniture is made in Viet Nam, and some of the wood is quite beautiful.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The arms do look like a maple. The seat looks like river birch with those semi-open pores. I think its impossible to say for sure without magnified observation by an expert.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Identifying furniture factory wood is problematic. Often the factory will use various commercially available species, depending on the component and how the species responds to the machining process. Once the parts are made and maybe assembled, the whole thing will be bleached then dye stained back to the intended color. This assures that today's output will match those that were made for the last so many years.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks like Philippine monkey pod wood to me. I have a rocker that I bought in the PI about 30 years ago that is sitting on my back deck unprotected from the weather, and it looks very similar.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS