What is your most disliked or disappointing tool?

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Just curious.

For me it's my Grizzly 1-1/2 hp shaper. I bought it instead of building or buying a router table figuring the torque would compensate for the lack of rpm. I use a router collet adapter, but it's just not very precise, the table is too small, and the fence system is clunky. I'm going to end up building that router table anyway someday.

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
My 14" Delta enclosed base bandsaw purchased new in the mid 90's. I added a 6" riser block at some point. I've never, ever been able to tune this boat anchor for accurate resawing. Tried new tension spring, urethane bands, blades, Snodgrass videos, etc. and it just never performed. I've learned to work around it and use it for less than precise cuts.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My 14" Delta enclosed base bandsaw purchased new in the mid 90's. I added a 6" riser block at some point. I've never, ever been able to tune this boat anchor for accurate resawing. Tried new tension spring, urethane bands, blades, Snodgrass videos, etc. and it just never performed. I've learned to work around it and use it for less than precise cuts.
I second that with my 14" Grizzly band saw. My success rate on resawing is very low.

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
Delta lathe with Reeves drive. I was happy with it until the Reeves drive broke and found out Delta no longer sells replacement parts.

The upside is, I may be getting a Powermatic 3520 c next year.

RobH

Rob
Corporate Member
Other than my I-gaging comment above my biggest disappointment was my laguna B-flux dust collector. It was small and easy to move from tool to tool but was too underpowered and the filter filled up too often. Very aggravating. Upgraded to a Craig’s-listed power matic 1.75 HP unit and it made a world of difference.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Years ago i bought a Metabo flashlight & power screwdriver. Metabo is a German company, so I thought I was getting a German product. It was priced higher than other brands. Fine! I was paying for a German tool. When I got it there before my eyes was "made in TPRC" That's China folks.

Pop

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Years ago i bought a Metabo flashlight & power screwdriver. Metabo is a German company, so I thought I was getting a German product. It was priced higher than other brands. Fine! I was paying for a German tool. When I got it there before my eyes was "made in TPRC" That's China folks.

I've noticed sometimes things are advertised as "German engineered."

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Forrest WWII blade. After all the GLOWING REVIEWS, just had to have one. Hit a hiden SKU tag staple first time out of the box. Lost four or five teeth. Sent it back to Forrest for repairs. Including shipping both ways, for only about three bucks more I could have bought a new WWII. This blade still resides in box it was shipped back in from Forrest. I think Forrest blades and sharpening services are OVER, as in over rated, and over priced!

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I have a Skill worm gear saw. Nice saw. But it's just plain too heavy for me to use one-handed.

Last edited:

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Other than my I-gaging comment above my biggest disappointment was my laguna B-flux dust collector. It was small and easy to move from tool to tool but was too underpowered and the filter filled up too often. Very aggravating. Upgraded to a Craig’s-listed power matic 1.75 HP unit and it made a world of difference.

did you sell the laguna

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The most disappointing I think is a set of Freud carving chisels. They just can't get sharp.

I fell for the high end combo blade. Have a Ridge TS21040. Like new. Never use. Maybe if you had a 3 HP saw, but not on my 1 3/4.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS