What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have several tools from my father's collection. Some are near daily users and some are lookers only because they were his. Here is something from his collection that I just don't know what it is or what to do with it. I can't fully read the inscription but it does show up better when it is wet (in the photos). It is hard but the surface is almost soapstone like. It does not indent with a fingernail nor can I scratch it with a fingernail. It is really dark red-browinish color. Most of the wear seems to be storage related. Is it some sort of strop or finish stone? Paperweight? Any ideas?

Stone1.jpgStone 2.jpgStone 3.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like a sharpening stone to me. Probably fairly course one. Get some honing oil to put on it and use it to sharpen your chisels.

Most of them that saw a lot of use will be dished out in the center - this one doesn't seem to be.

Of course I'm no expert so I could be wrong.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That is a razor hone.

Similar to this one I found on the web.

08-18-17-04-razor-hone.jpg

Not coarse, extremely fine and hard.

Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike,

It is really fine and hard. You cannot feel any cutting when you rub it.
I never saw him use a straight razor.
My web search came up with nothing.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff,
I don't know the age. He died while I was working on my undergrad at Auburn. Too many Pall Malls.
The machinists tools (calpers, micrometers, gauge blocks, dial indicator (I use this one the most). etc.) he must have gotten from someone else as they all have a name scribed in them, H. Carey. I don't think it was Harry, OBTW. Hammers, skill saws, etc., he bought when we built the house in Alabama. The one armed bandit (I still use the rules occasionally) I'm sure he used when he worked for North American Aviation in Columbus OH back in the 50's. Someday, maybe I'll build a table for it. Used one like it in drafting class at Auburn. Yep, I'm old.

FWIW, I have a couple of his mother's tools from when she worked at Ranco(?) in Columbus.

Maybe I have too much junk.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike,

It is really fine and hard. You cannot feel any cutting when you rub it.
I never saw him use a straight razor.
My web search came up with nothing.

Thanks.

I could not read the name but that may not mean much. They often carried advertising unrelated to the maker.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If he had machinist's tools he may have used it to hone lathe cutting bits. They would be high speed steel and would sometimes need a fine finish.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I have and use my great grandfather’s stone which is nearly identical to yours. It is most definitely a razor stone, extremely fine grit. They may be somewhat uncommon and collectible if in unusually good conditiion. I have heard of people being very happy to have and use even a broken one.

To the best of my knowledge, these were never used with oil. Only water.

I use mine for final sharpening when I literally want a tool razor sharp. I believe you can cause uneven wear from improper use.

You may be able to find better information on sites that cater to
collecting and using antique straight razors.

EDIT: Mine is my paternal Great Great Grandpa's stone. Labeled Austrian. Hopefully the photo post.

Noland_TN.jpg small.jpg

Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tendriver
Thank you.I like old pictures.

Mike
I assumed the name was advertising but tried to guess the letters and search. Nothing found in the search made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS