What is a good price for lumber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I've found a new source of lumber and I think the prices are good. What do you think is a good price on Walnut, Cherry, WO and RO per bf?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've found a new source of lumber and I think the prices are good. What do you think is a good price on Walnut, Cherry, WO and RO per bf?
That depends on a lot of factors. Grade, thickness, width, length etc. A rough 4" wide board of Cherry that's 4' long and has lots of knots and checks might be worth $1/ bf. A good price for a 10" wide board of Cherry 8' long that is perfectly clear and surfaced on two sides would be $4/bf.

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
There's just too many variables to give you a definative answer, as Bas said.

But here are some real good prices for FAS, kiln dried, 4/4 stock, S3S

Cherry & Walnut - Both about $4-4.10 bd/ft
WO & RO - Plain sawn, Ranges from $2.25 - 2.85 bd/ft

Again, alot of this has to do with grading. For 4/4 cherry, green and rough, you may only be looking at 1-1.25 bd/ft, and oaks are in the .50 range if you're buying a green log

-gp

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
In additon to Bas and Gregory's comments, I would also add that very wide boards also bring a premium, as do highly figured boards.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
As another point, don't forget to factor transportation costs in as well. A great price 200+ miles away may turn out to be more expensive than a seemingly more costly board closer to home. I generally limit myself to a 2-3hr radius from my home and buy several hundred board feet at a time. If you are going to have the wood shipped to you, then don't forget to divide shipping costs by number of board feet and add that to your board foot pricing.

And then you get into quality, width, thickness, availability (a great price on out of stock wood is useless).... and so forth.

Buy good wood at a price that seems fair to you, be happy, then go home and build your project and focus more on your satisfaction with your creation then whether or not you got the absolute best deal on the wood. Unless you are going into business where margins reign supreme, there is little point to fretting over all the factors that go into board pricing. Just my humble opinion!

DWSmith

New User
David
FAS 8/4 rough 4 sides:
Walnut $4.10
Cherry $4.05
Hard Maple $3.35

FAS 5/4 rough 4 sides:
Walnut $3.75
Cherry $3.35
Hard Maple $2.95

I'm lucky, I have three good lumber suppliers within a 7 mile drive from my home and shop so I get what I need when I need it and keep only the necessary wood in the shop for immediate use. I wouldn't know how to act if I had to drive for several hours to get lumber.

Greeker

New User
Greek
I travel between Columbia SC to north of Boone, If anyone knows of a good lumber supplier between these two points or between Boone and Fayettville phone # and address would help
Thanks Greeker

BSHuff

New User
Brian
Other thing is that wood prices have a fairly large regional price variances. Some wood that is cheap here might be twice the cost in California, and the same in reverse. If it is cheap to you and you like the way it looks it is good wood.

cskipper

Cathy
I travel between Columbia SC to north of Boone, If anyone knows of a good lumber supplier between these two points or between Boone and Fayettville phone # and address would help
Thanks Greeker

Not directly on the way, but BeeTree in Swannanoa has been a good resource for us. I believe their info is under the NC Wooodworking heading at the top of the page,

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
FAS 8/4 rough 4 sides:
Walnut $4.10
Cherry $4.05
Hard Maple $3.35

FAS 5/4 rough 4 sides:
Walnut $3.75
Cherry $3.35
Hard Maple $2.95

I'm lucky, I have three good lumber suppliers within a 7 mile drive from my home and shop so I get what I need when I need it and keep only the necessary wood in the shop for immediate use. I wouldn't know how to act if I had to drive for several hours to get lumber.

Which ones are you talking about? Wall and The Hardwood Store are the ones I've used before but always like to have options available. Thx

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Well...

If your selling - the most you can get for it
If your buying - the least you can get it for

Best comprise is somewhere in the middle. That way the sawyer makes some for his time and effort and the buyer gets a good deal. In the end both are happy and that's the way it should be...

But most important is to develop a good relationship with your sawyer. You'll be amazed how far a good relationship goes and it's merits easily surpass the almighty dollar.

DWSmith

New User
David
bigcat4t9r,

I use three commercial suppliers locally. Steve Wall is a personal friend and I respect him greatly. But he operates a retail lumber yard and the prices are normally much higher than I will pay. Not to mention the 45 minute drive. The Hardwood Store is operated by a former Wall employee who learned the business and left. Again a retail yard with prices higher than I will pay.

Musser Lumber 7600 Boeing Dr. Greensboro
McEwen Lumber Prospect St High Point ($400 minimum sale)
TCI Thomasville Has just started dealing in lumber.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Well right now I'm getting FAS Walnut and Cherry, rough for 2.25 a bf. Board are between 6 and 10 inches and I also got abunch of bookmatched really nice FAS at the same price. So I'm happy with my price I'm getting. He has QSRO at 2.50 as well. Nice little side business that he has.

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
At that price I will take a truck load. Of each. Sounds more like log run than FAS. Where is it so I can go get some?

Here is a post from a deal I got on CL several months back:

Bought ~50 bf of 8/4 cherry from the poster of the ad, Doug Greer, on Friday. Real nice guy and great to work with. He was almost out of the cherry, but said more was on the way. He was getting ready to send 3,000 bf of walnut to be kiln-dried. Also had some HUGE beams of pine from an old textile mill that he bought in case anybody has an interest.

I'll definitely be buying from him in the future. You can also e-mail him: greerstables@yadtel.net

Walnut and Cherry Lumber - $2 (Harmony)

Date: 2010-06-22, 6:54AM EDT
Reply to:
sale-r8fgn-1804504239@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have about 400 feet of cherry 8/4x6x10ft.$2.00bf,can cut to 4/4 at no charge for you,also have about 250 ft. of #2 grade cherry 4/4 will sell the bundle for $250.00 if you take it all,I have a small amount of #2 walnut, maybe 100 ft,4/4 will take 150.00 for that bundle.All this lumber is kiln dried,rough cut.....I have air dried walnut and cherry can cut to your spec's,it is 4x8x10 and 12 ft lenghts..$2.00 bf.Call Doug 704/880/2912 Thanks...

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1804504239

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Well if anyone would like to get any at my price, I'll post on here and get some pics of it. I'll also try to get the wife to take a picture to of some of the walnut and cherry I got. I think all and all what I planed out was about 50 ft or more. The only thing he doesn't have is QSWO, so I may need to get up with scott sometime about that. Next time I go home to visit family I'll try to get ahold of him and see if any of you want any. I think he had some RO 12/4 for about $3.00 and some 10/4 Walnut about $3 of $4 I'll get a price list from him.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Well if anyone would like to get any at my price, I'll post on here and get some pics of it. I'll also try to get the wife to take a picture to of some of the walnut and cherry I got. I think all and all what I planed out was about 50 ft or more. The only thing he doesn't have is QSWO, so I may need to get up with scott sometime about that. Next time I go home to visit family I'll try to get ahold of him and see if any of you want any. I think he had some RO 12/4 for about $3.00 and some 10/4 Walnut about $3 of $4 I'll get a price list from him.

Zach, if you do end up bringing some wood down, you're welcome to use my farm as the meeting spot for everybody to come and get their wood.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS