What I have been doing in my "spare" time

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
LOML wanted some place to store linens, towels, etc. so armed with dimensions and some reclaimed pine, this is what I came up with. See my gallery for more pics.

linenchest006.JPG

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great Job:eusa_clap. That came out real nice. I like the shelf support system you used, I have never seen a system like that before. I take it you made it yourself? What did you use to make your raised panels?

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow. Beautiful. You do the most incredible stuff with reclaimed pine... where are you getting all that pine anyway? And I can't help but ask, how do you get such a consistent color in your finish if you're using pine?

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I'd also like to know where you get the pine from? That cabinet is beautiful.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
As to the raised panels, I used a "large" diameter router bit in the router table. I wasn't totally satisfied with the width of the taper but it turned out ok I guess. I get most of my old pine from old dilapidated tobacco barns that are either being torn down or have been torn down by me. As for the color, I don't do anything special but if you want to get a good even stain, you might try shooting a spit coat of either sealer or shellac prior to staining to help prevent what I call "sop" which is when the softer grain sucks up the stain and the harder grain doesn't take it . I was going to do that on this piece but SWMBO got antsy and wanted it done so I just did my normal stuff. Appreciate the comments. It is always good to hear positive comments but it is also positive to get some good constructive feedback.

MIke

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Very nice job on the construction and finish. Pine can be a PITA to get a good finish. Obviously you've got that down to a science.

Steve D

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It's been beaten like a dead horse, but I am also very impressed with your finish, I avoid Pine and Poplar for unpainted work because of past difficulties. So all it take is a sealer coat of Shellac, you've just saved me tons of money on my projects that all need hardwood. Great job, I am proud to be in association with such fine craftsmen(women too). Dave:)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Let me add a very nice as well. I see that you used the stiles as un-reinforced legs and since you've built a lot of furniture over the years, has that ever given you any problems? I like the idea of not having to build a bottom platform if it works.

Your gallery is full of very nice work,
Joe

Mavawreck07

New User
Andrew
that is beautiful. I would like to get some pine like that myself and Ive often thought of it as I passed old derelict houses and barns. Do you know where I could get any or how to go about getting permission to dismantle?

thanks

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Mavawreck07 said:
that is beautiful. I would like to get some pine like that myself and Ive often thought of it as I passed old derelict houses and barns. Do you know where I could get any or how to go about getting permission to dismantle?

thanks

You might just keep an eye out for an old tobacco barn and as the old saying goes, "it doesn't hurt to ask" the owner if they would be receptive to having it torn down for the material. Or during your travels, keep an eye out for a barn being torn down and inquire as to whether you can have any. Keep in mind, you will have to cull out those boards which have been infected with powder post beetles as they are worthless. Look for a lot of small holes which is the entrance point for the beetle and when the board is planed, it will show up as burrows. You might have to go through many boards to get a few that are not affected.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
bladeburner said:
Let me add a very nice as well. I see that you used the stiles as un-reinforced legs and since you've built a lot of furniture over the years, has that ever given you any problems? I like the idea of not having to build a bottom platform if it works.

Your gallery is full of very nice work,
Joe

No problems with the design. Here is another piece using the same technique.

oldpinecountrycupboard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS