What I did during naptime II - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The wife was still out of town and again I had about 3 hours worth of shop time to do something. The LOML wants me to make her some recipe boxes to give as gifts for X-mas. This is my prototype, a few mistakes were made but that is why I did it. It's made of some curly soft Maple stock left over from a desk I made, with Cherry top and bottom and Paduck(sp) splines. Finished with BLO, still have some more finishing to do tomorrow. Next time I'll cut my miters better and us some different wood for the splines. The Paduck wasn't very easy to work with, and I had really bad chip out. I am happy with the practice round, I took good notes and will crank out a few before X-mas. Thanks for looking. Dave:)

Recipeboxprototype001.jpg

Recipeboxprototype002.jpg

Recipeboxprototype007.jpg

Recipeboxprototype004.jpg

Thanks for ya'll critique, Dave:) :)

Monty

New User
Monty
Very nice! I like the design in the back of the top - the way it holds itself open. What are the hinges?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The hinges are 5mm barrel hinges from Woodcraft. I sweated a whole lot trying to install them, the box was done and they were the last thing. I have never used them before and they came with no instructions. But I think I like them and will use them again. Thanks for the comments, Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, a great looking recipe box. I am very fond of splined miters for strengthening the corners and for their decorative appeal as well. I like using the barrel hinges as well, although they do take a little head scratching the first few times you use them. Nice Christmas gifts.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yah, tell me about the head scratching, all I had to go by was the picture in the Woodcraft catalog. I got lucky and did them right the first time. What do you use to cut for the splines? I've tried a router in table, rip blade on TS with many adjustment and lastly a daddo stack. I still don't get the crisp corners I want. Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS