What I did during nap time today/show us your shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I gave my wife a weekend off (from child care duties) for her birthday, it's something she really wanted. So she is off partying with her girl friends, and I am home watching my 2 year old. Unable to do much woodworking in the 3 hour naptime window, I decided to clean and organize my shop. Now that it is presentable, I'd like to start the show us your shop thread. Mine is a 22x25', 1.5 car garage that never seeen a car. It fully wired with ample 220 capability. I tapped into the duct work to give it some AC and heat, so it stays around 78 in the summer and 65 in the winter.

Sept05shoppics001.jpg

View from the stairs down from the house

Sept05shoppics009.jpg

My work bench, nothing fancy but it works for me

Sept05shoppics004.jpg

View from garage door side, show wood rack, and misc. junk

Sept05shoppics005.jpg

Right side wall with DP, BS & DC

Sept05shoppics011.jpg

Miter saw, and pancake air compressor

Sept05shoppics012.jpg

Clamp storage

Sept05shoppics013.jpg

Lathe, sharpening station and DC. I think that this may be all one posting can hold, there are a few more pics in my album, if you care to see more. I would really like to see what ya'll shops look like, please post some pictures or links if you can. Thanks for looking, Dave:)

Last edited:

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow. I REALLY like all that flat surface around your table saw... can't call it an outfeed table, it's much better than that! I also like your shop-built sharpening jig -- do you recall where you got the plans?

One other thing that caught my eye: seeing your Besseys hanging up like you have them makes my hand hurt. :rbedface: How do you get them to stay up like that?!?!?

Great work space you've got there. Now you've inspired me to clean up my shop. Come to think of it, I've been cleaning up my shop for about a year now... :roll:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I got tired of wrassling sheet goods on my last saw, so I was inspired by Norm, and built something that would support a full 4x8' sheet. I find that I use it a lot as a assembly table, the melamine is awesome for glue ups. Only twice have I had my Bessys take a dive, and that's because I was sloppy. I gauge the opening between the jaws quickly around a 2x4, and if I do it right they keep themself up there. How else would you hang them? Keep in mind that I am 6'3". I made up the sharpening jig, and it doesn't work as good as I had hoped. The support rest is too long and my POS HF turning set is too short, but it does provide a place to rest your hands for free handing gouges. Some day I'll get a better grinder, and a real guide system, that one is older than I, it came with the 60+ year old lathe. Clean up your shop and post some pics! The purpose of my post wasn't to gloat or gain sympathy, but to start a thread of showing off members shops so I can steal everyone's good ideas. Thanks for looking, Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I didn't catch the size of your shop, but you have organized very well I like your shop fixtures, such as the air comp. system and the cardboard tubes, that is an awesome ider. Plus I think that your recessed CMS is brillant:lol:, did that too. My only suggestion is that you start drinking beer vs. those finishing product in your beer fridge, they could make you go blind.:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for showing us your shop. Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, thanks a lot for the shop tour. You have a wonderful shop. :icon_thum Mine is so cluttered with wood that I can barely work in it. I really need to do something with the wood I have before I collect more.

George, your shop is the epitome of neatness and organization and the wonderful projects you had posted on the other site are a testament to the fact that you not only have neat looking shop but you also know what to do with it.:icon_thum

Thank you both for the shop tours.:eusa_clap I need to straighten my shop up so I can find some of the horizontal surfaces which are buried under works in progress.:-?

gator

George
Corporate Member
DaveO said:
I didn't catch the size of your shop, Dave:)

16 x 24, garage package from BDC. Didn't want to lose interior wall space so traded garage door for extra windows and vinyl siding. Figured anything that I build (at least 99+%) will have to go in a house door so it must go out a house door, therefore didn't need a garage door.

George

DaveO

New User
DaveO
gator said:
Figured anything that I build (at least 99+%) will have to go in a house door so it must go out a house door, therefore didn't need a garage door.

George

I have debated doing away with my garage door and replacing it with some big windows, I would get better light, and cut down the drafts from around the door. But my wife tells me that as soon as I do I'll wish I didn't, plus if I ever sell the house, the garage would be worth more. Dave:)

R

rickc

One compromise you might be able to use - convert to a different type of garage door. Perhaps a two part that swings open with windows in each side. Adding weather stripping could help reduce the drafts. At the very least you would get one half more use of that part of the garage door, and an oversize entry door for the other. NOT a bad thing for wood workers moving sheet goods and equipment! Plus you won't have to post a warning to anyone about building a fantastic chest of drawers in the shop that was too large to move through the doors to the house!:lol:

doors_ny1.jpg

I removed my overhead door, and replaced it with a wall, door and window. I will upload some photos in my gallery area so you can see if you want.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rick, I have also entertained that thought, those are beautful door BTW.

Big Mike, I can help you out with your wood surplus problem, I have a wood shortage problem (lack of funds), just send some my way.:lol:
Dave:)

R

rickc

Yeah - to do it over again, I would probably have used something like those, as well. Wish they WERE mine! I think sometimes we get trapped into one way of thinking. The garage door option is a good example. I have become so used to thining garage doors ALWAYS go up, I forget for a long time they swung open and close!

Monty

New User
Monty
Here's how I hang my Besseys. I just clamp them shut so there won't be any surprises when I take them back down again, then I hang them up like this:

IMG_0099.jpg

BTW, I took some pics of the shop this AM - I'll post another thread soon...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Aww, that's nice, it looks much more stable. Why didn't I think of that????:slap: Thanks for showing your system. Dave:)

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
Seeing your garage door reminded me of a project we didn't get to this weekend ... insulating the garage door. I bought myself an air conditioner for the garage, but it's having to fight that big door (and probably costing me a fortune). We are going to buy some of tha Rigid foam board from Home Despot and cut it to fit in the door pannels. Should help some in any case.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Jay said:
Here are some pics of my shop. If it doesn't work Steve set up a gallery for me and they are posted there. I have limited room as you can see so if anyone has any comments to make I would be glad to hear them.

Jay,
Looks like a great start! I like the long bench against wall for CMS, etc.

Suffering from shop envy,
Sapwood

Jay

New User
Jay
Yeah I definitely have not regretted it but I have to readjust the height it has settled or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS